The Senior Manager, Technical Accounting and Policy manages the Company's technical accounting function including research and analysis on complex technical accounting and reporting issues, implementation of new US GAAP accounting standards, and maintenance of the Company’s global finance instruction manual. Maintains and develops sound internal controls and policies and procedures in support of SOX compliance. Works with the external audit firm on complex technical issues and performs special projects as needed.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Responsible for researching US GAAP and applicable SEC rules and regulations to resolve and document the accounting and reporting for complex technical issues.
- Implements new US GAAP accounting standards.
- Reviews the quarterly accounting standards update document for the Controller’s Audit Committee presentation prepared by the senior technical accounting and policy analyst.
- Owns the accounting policy disclosure sections of the 10-Q/K and other highly technical disclosures as necessary.
- Maintains the Company’s global finance instruction manual, which includes accounting and reporting policies and procedures.
- Supports the Company’s external auditors performing quarterly reviews and the annual audit with respect to technical accounting issues.
- Maintains compliance with all internal control procedures surrounding technical accounting and policy, including preparation of documentation to support accounting and reporting positions.
- Manages a senior technical accounting and policy analyst, including performance management, coaching and development.
- Performs and/or supervises the research and resolution of complex accounting transactions, including data analysis and memo documentation. This includes working with the sales teams on the structuring of significant contracts, and explaining the accounting implications of certain sales arrangements.
- Assesses the impact of newly-issued and proposed accounting and reporting standards on the Company.
- Serves as technical resource to other areas of the Company, including assisting with operationalizing new accounting standards and requirements.
- Organizes periodic and annual accounting training for CPAs within the Finance organization.
- Responsible for the annual goodwill impairment analysis, including periodic enterprise-level third-party equity valuations.
- Coordinates annual updates to the global finance instruction manual and drafts new policies for complex or unusual technical areas.
- Maintains compliance with all internal control procedures surrounding technical accounting and policy in support of SOX compliance.
- Coordinates with the Company’s external auditors performing quarterly reviews and the annual audit with respect to technical accounting issues.
- Participates in cross-functional special projects as required.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- External candidates:
- 7 years of finance experience, with at least 4 years in an accounting role and exposure to technical accounting.
- 3 years of management experience.
- Internal candidates:
- 6 years of finance experience, with at least 3 years in an accounting role and exposure to technical accounting.
- 2 years of management experience.
Other Required Qualifications
- Excellent, current technical knowledge of US GAAP accounting and SEC rules and regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders, including senior leadership. Includes the ability to explain complex technical accounting issues to non-finance coworkers.
- Demonstrated excellent knowledge of accounting and finance principles and practices with ability to apply them in a business analysis situation.
- Demonstrated excellent organization and planning skills with critical attention to detail.
- Track record of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business, while meeting deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications with strong experience in Excel.
- Proven track record in problem analysis with the ability to creatively and proactively problem solve.
- Track record of identifying process improvements, and making appropriate recommendations.
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to influence stakeholders.
- Advanced analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport and maintain productive working relationships cross-functionally.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Prior public accounting experience in a "Big 4" public accounting firm.