Work on the Digital Velocity team within CDW for Digital Transformation services to help customers meet business velocity objectives. The Java Senior Software Engineer participates and sometimes leads the engineering team in project engagements, contributing to and directing efforts in application development.
The Java Senior Software Engineer chooses tooling specific to the task that can include building web user interfaces, API servers, databases, file storage, message queuing, and cloud native resources. This role is critical in developing application code, and when appropriate, providing mentorship and leadership to team members.
The Java Senior Software Engineer is in sync with the Technical PM and Enterprise Architect, and implements solutions reflecting best practices that fit into the overall architecture. The Java Senior Software Engineer is highly communicative, gathering information and requirements, and reporting on intended solutions and progress.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Personal Software Engineering and Technologist Traits
- Craftsman-like approach to building software; take pride in engineering excellence and instill these values in others
- Demonstrable passion for technology while using problem solving capabilities to deliver solutions utilizing a top end engineering approach with an enthusiasm for learning
- Focused on delivering value to the business with relentless efforts to improve process
- A proponent of strong collaborative software engineering techniques and methods: agile development, continuous integration, code review and pairing, unit testing, refactoring and related approaches
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Accountable for technical debt in software
- Experienced working in a dynamic, fast-paced, Agile team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to establish and maintain a close working relationship with team members and stakeholders
- Enthusiasm for learning and results oriented
- Stay current with many best-of-breed technologies
- Confident communicator; able to communicate a point concisely and deal positively with conflicting views
- Flexible in thinking; able to evolve a solution when additional information or ideas are presented
- Make tactical vs. strategic trade offs
- Take control of complex or vague problems and steps through them in a rational way
- High achiever who combines ambition with humility
- Lead a team of developers providing architecture, code mentoring, PR reviews
- Contributes to the development of best practices within team
- Lead code reviews and actively participates in providing feedback on others’ designs/code
- Mentor junior members of the team
- Identify when junior engineers need help and provide it in a positive way that promotes confidence.
- Proactively helps team members/make suggestions to improve practices.
- Able to work directly with business stakeholders
- Decisions show a focus on current and future business priorities, together with fiscal responsibility
- Can articulate business needs and translate them into technology solutions
Education and/or Skill-Set Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience web application development in a cloud native environment
- Knowledge and skill level in identified competencies meet minimum requirements for role
- Previous direct customer consulting experience or equivalent understanding of role responsibilities
- Experience developing automated delivery pipelines, agile delivery and test-driven development
- In-depth knowledge of software design patterns
- Develop hybrid cloud solutions (consider adding solution details, I.E. API’s, message queues, db’s, file storage, containers, microservices, etc)
- Debug large components with limited assistance and assists other engineers with debugging
- Perform as an expert in all parts of the software lifecycle (e.g., coding, testing, deployment)
- Oversee significant pieces of development within the development lifecycle
- Design and develop practical API contracts, APIs, and abstractions.
- Experience writing code in Java for cloud native software applications using unit, integration, and E2E testing at the time of feature development
- Experience developing in Spring, Spring Boot, Maven, Application Servers
- Can speak knowledgeably about SDK, JVM, JPA/Hibernate, and Dependency Injection
CDW is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards and to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of coworkers and candidates for employment and their families, as well as the community.
CDW requires all coworkers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the only exceptions being a documented, legally required medical or religious accommodation. Prior to starting with CDW, successful candidates will be required to: (i) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide CDW with proof of full vaccination; or (ii) apply for and receive a medical or religious-based accommodation to be exempt from the mandatory vaccination policy.