The primary purpose of this position is to manage and maintain IT infrastructure environments for Managed Services customers, which may include, but are not limited to: enterprise data storage systems, mainframe (IBM System z), midrange (IBM Power), Windows, and/or Unix/Linux systems and associated software; network infrastructure environments; virtualized systems, database systems, and security tools.
The Managed Services Sr. Engineer - Storage ensures high levels of availability and security of the supported systems and business applications. This position will focus on the operational stability and maintenance of virtualized and physical infrastructure in customer and/or hosted data center environments
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs tasks necessary to fulfill service level agreements with customers regarding storage allocations, limitations, security, and availability.
- Communicates and enforces, through system procedures, data storage retention policies.
- Follows change control, incident response, and testing processes for modifications to storage appliances and software.
- Anticipates, mitigates, identifies, responds to, and resolves issues with storage devices, storage access, and data retrieval.
- Researches and makes recommendations on storage products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Monitors, analyzes, and predicts trends for storage equipment performance, space allocation, and data growth to recommend enhancements to the IT storage team.
- Develops routines for end-users to facilitate storage best practices, including desktop storage administration.
- Remains informed on storage laws, trends, and issues, including current and emerging technologies and best practices; advise, counsel, and educate executive and management teams on their relative importance.
- Ensures that information storage measures and equipment adhere to all applicable laws and regulations.
- Performs storage server/database transaction and security audits leading to identification and mitigation of security threats to enterprise data. Recommends and implements changes where necessary.
- Creates required reports in response to business user needs.
- Develops, documents, and maintains operational processes and tasks.
- Performs a variety of technical tasks in support of Managed Services customers. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains, upgrades, and troubleshoots client infrastructure solutions
- Maintains, supports, and optimizes client network hardware, software, and communication links
- Anticipates, mitigates, identifies, and responds to system performance issues
- Ensures the integrity and security of enterprise data on host computers, multiple databases, and during data transfer in accordance to business needs and industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance
- Performs updates/patches/upgrades, tuning, performance monitoring, replication, back-ups, security, user management, and resource management
- Researches and makes recommendations on infrastructure products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts
- Conducts transaction, performance, and security audits
- Performs routine system backups and restores
- Participates in Disaster Recovery exercises and planning
- Follows change control, incident response, and testing processes
- Communicates and enforces, through system procedures, data storage retention policies
- Monitors, analyzes, and predicts trends for equipment performance, space allocation, and data growth to recommend enhancements
- Creates scripts to automate common tasks
- As needed, assumes a technical lead role on designated customers and/or technologies
- Addresses and updates customer incident tickets and change orders, providing internal management and customer account managers with status information
- Creates required reports in response to business user needs
- Develops, documents, and maintains policies, procedures and associated training plans for systems and /or and appropriate use
- Develops reusable assets (templates, tools, etc) for the Managed Services practice
- Works with account management personnel to participate on conference calls and perform tasks in support of the client relationship
- Partners with the Managed Services Continuous Improvement team on pre-sales support activity and design and scoping of services
- Provides technical perspective to ensure a realistic estimation of scope, cost and level of effort for proposal generation
- Works with project managers in the development and implementation of project plans and timelines
- Complies with time entry guidelines
- Training/Certifications: Attends training sessions, and obtains industry related certifications as determined by management
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field
- At least (five) 5 year’s experience with administrating SAN / NAS Storage solutions, to include one or more of the following:
- Brocade and/or Cisco MDS FCP switching
- DellEMC: Unity, PowerMax, Isilon/PowerScale
- NetApp: FAS/AFF (C-mode and 7-mode)
- IBM DS5000, DS8000, Storwize (V5000, V7000), FlashSystem
- Pure FlashArray and FlashBlade
- Hitachi Virtual Storage Platforms
Other Position Requirements
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and technical troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrated Network backup (NetBackup, TSM, Commvault, etc.) skills
- Experience with FibreChannel SAN architecture/Design/Implementation
- Demonstrated architecture, implementation, and migration experience with EMC, NetApp and/or IBM storage arrays
- Experience with emerging technologies such as flash arrays and hybrid
- Experience with Cisco and Brocade SAN switches as it relates to a SAN
- Experience with hypervisors such as vSphere and/or Hyper-V
- Experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information
- Demonstrated presentation and communication skills
- Storage Based Replication technology (Global Mirror/SRDF/SnapMirror/RecoverPoint, etc.)
- Manufacturer certifications (IBM, NetApp, EMC, etc.)
- EMC Implementation Engineer Certification
- NetApp NCDA/NCIE/etc. certification
- Storage subsystem implementation experience on EMC and NetApp arrays
- RecoverPoint, FAST-VP, Open Replicator/Migrator, Replication Manager, Unisphere, CLI, PowerPath, ControlCenter, SMC, SPA, and other EMC software experience
Data Privacy & Security
- Security is every employee’s responsibility. If you are aware of a security related vulnerability or non-compliance with the Information Security Policy or Employee Handbook you must report it to the Corporate Security Team, Human Resources, or a member of Senior Management.
- Participate at hire and annually in the Information Security Awareness training as well as other required training identified by the Human Resources department. HIPAA or other regulatory training may be required based on your role or assignment.
The position is part of a 7 day per week, 24 hour per day managed services operations. To provide the required coverage, must be willing to work other shifts including weekends, holidays, and overtime.
CDW is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards and to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of coworkers and candidates for employment and their families, as well as the community.
CDW requires all coworkers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the only exceptions being a documented, legally required medical or religious accommodation. Prior to starting with CDW, successful candidates will be required to: (i) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide CDW with proof of full vaccination; or (ii) apply for and receive a medical or religious-based accommodation to be exempt from the mandatory vaccination policy.