With advanced knowledge and appreciable latitude in decision-making, and focus on Network Design and Design Interface, provides system-level network solution engineering efforts associated with strategic planning of the design, development, implementation, maturation, optimization, and modernization of IT service management as part of overall transformation efforts to provide innovative, emergent, and continual business process and enterprise IT solution improvements to the DTAMM environment in support of DTAMM mission, goals, and objectives IAW DoD, USSF, SLD 30 WR, SLD 45 ER, and DTAMM policies and procedures. Supports translation of strategic goals, commitments, requirements, and objectives into plans, tasks, and activities for technology and/or process solutions and alternatives, from a network perspective, including the estimated potential risks associated with each. Researches, maintains, and applies expertise in emerging technologies, and industry developments, trends, best practices, and principles of network engineering and IT service management for optimizing and modernizing IT service delivery, policies, guidelines, and processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- May design, analyze, plan, modify, and maintain networks and network components supporting data, voice and/or audio communication activities.
- Prepares the analysis of short/long term capacity needs for switching, routing transmission and signaling.
- May conduct network architecture design, feasibility and cost studies as well as internal studies of network performance and traffic analysis. May evaluate new technology.
- Duties may include providing specifications and detailed schematics for network architecture; providing information for hardware and software selection; and tools for the most efficient solution to meet business needs, including present and future capacity requirements. Conducts testing of network systems.
- Maintains technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing, such as routers, switchers, firewalls, hubs, bridges, gateways, etc.
- Evaluates and reports on new network technologies to enhance capabilities of the network.
- Implements operational design standards and establishes appropriate interfaces that best fulfill interoperability and mission requirements, designing, recommending, and executing configuration of all network and communication equipment, facilities, and services in a manner to ensure highest security and most efficient flow of data.
- Determines specifications for and manages the cost analysis, purchase, testing, installation, support, and quality assurance review of network communications, including LAN/MAN/WAN systems and platforms.
- Monitors overall network performance and analyzes and implements process models to enable operational impact and efficiencies for network optimization. Analyzes network traffic and provides capacity-planning solutions.
- Plans and oversees execution of network installations of system hardware and software upgrades. Plans and executes backups and recovery operations.
- Directs or executes compilation and maintenance of network records and documentation of network configuration, development and maintenance schedules, policies, and procedures.
- Provides guidance and status updates regarding issues that could impact services.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- 5 years’ experience