The Associate Manager, Revenue Accounting & Analysis manages the company’s revenue accounting function which supports proper revenue recognition for CDW worldwide. This position coordinates and performs monthly revenue activities and partners with the sales and product management leaders to provide financial insight and financial oversight for unique product offerings and significant customer contracts. Also, the Associate Manager maintains sound internal controls and policies and procedures in support of revenue recognition, works with external and internal auditors and performs special projects on an as needed basis.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manages and mentors revenue accountants.
- Provides revenue recognition guidance based on authoritative literature and company policies and consults with the Technical Accounting Policy function.
- Works to operationalize new revenue recognition policies and procedures once developed.
- As a key business partner, works directly with CDW’s sales leadership and legal counsel to provide guidance on deal structure and communicate impact of significant contracts on financial statements.
- Provides financial oversight and operational guidance for new product offerings and customer rebate programs through partnership with CDW’s product management organization.
- Collaborates with the business to review non-standard transactions for pricing, discounts, vendor-specific objective evidence requirements, payment and commercial terms, and overall economics.
- Manages procedures associated with revenue accounting including:
- Oversee daily sales reporting (distributed to CDW’s executive team and business leaders) to identify any significant revenue adjustments that would significantly distort CDW’s mid-month preliminary results. Review and perform relative value accounting (i.e., services vs. tangible products).
- Review and perform deferred revenue accounting.
- Ability to look in detail into various systems (AS400, changepoint, Zuora, EDW, etc.) to review sales by customer over periods of time.
- Preparation of revenue recognition summaries and other reports related to areas of responsibility. Example includes reporting on low or negative margin sales or orders.
- Formal documentation of material revenue transactions.
- Review and approve journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Maintains compliance with all internal control procedures surrounding revenue accounting, including preparation of documentation to support revenue accounting policies.
- Supports the Company’s external auditors performing quarterly reviews and the annual audit.
- Manages the Company’s revenue sub-ledger (Rev Pro).
- Identifies financial accounting and reporting process improvement opportunities and implements improvements
- Develops goals and skills for direct report(s) and provides regular feedback on performance.
- Special projects as assigned.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- External candidates:
- 4 years previous accounting or financial audit experience.
- Internal candidates:
- 3 years CDW accounting or finance experience.
Other Required Qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders, including senior leadership
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of accounting and finance principles and practices
- Solid technical accounting skills
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills with critical attention to detail
- Track record of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business, while meeting deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications with strong experience in Excel
- Proven track record in problem analysis with the ability to creatively and proactively problem solve
- Track record of identifying process improvements, and making appropriate recommendations
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to influence stakeholders
- Ability to take the lead on researching/resolving issues (from start to finish), or representing department on projects
- Ability to coach and lead a team, as well as represent the department in projects and other initiatives
- Strong knowledge of financial accounting and reporting applications (Peoplesoft and Hyperion Financial Management)
- Supervisory and/or mentoring experience