This job posting is no longer active
The Systems Engineer is proficient in and responsible for all administrative activities related to the installation, maintenance and monitoring of the IBM i on Power Systems. This position will specify, install and configure hardware and software standards related to the Power Systems Infrastructure. The Systems Engineer will participate in cross-team technical initiatives and projects. This individual is charged with maintaining the highest level of system availability possible in support of company business goals. This position will reside at the corporate office in Vernon Hills, Illinois.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Monitors and directs changes to affect system performance and error logs to maintain system uptime of 99.99% with the use of tools available and system utilities.
- Ensures high availability goals are achieved to ensure uninterrupted transition to backup system if required. Available to perform disaster recovery role swaps quarterly along with supporting applications.
- Coordinates troubleshooting efforts with IBM support as required for hardware and software issues during the normal course of business.
- Coordinates upgrades, installs and troubleshoots problems with third party software packages loaded on Power Systems platforms from 3rd party vendors.
- Proficient with installation of IBM i OS cumulative fixpacks and technical refreshes on a defined schedule per best practices.
- Ability to navigate IBM hardware management console (HMC) GUI and apply new software updates and fixpacks.
- Collaborates with application developers to insure uninterrupted system access and maintains Test/Development environments.
- Collaborate with application development teams to identify and effect change to optimize applications that are using excessive system resources.
- Coordinates the scheduling of new system or application batch jobs for production environment using either the IBM Advanced Job Scheduler or IT job scheduling systems.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications for project planning and communication
- Coordinates LPAR tuning as required to maintain consistent performance levels as defined by Power Systems management.
- Runs regularly scheduled system purge/re-org processes to maintain stable storage environment.
- Participate in on-call system support rotation (On-Site and Remote Connect).
- Provide monthly system management reporting as defined.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- 2 year Technical/Business degree or equivalent experience
- 5 years of Power Systems experience required
Other Required Qualifications
- Solid understanding and working knowledge of the appropriate server operating systems and physical hardware including virtualization technology.
- Consistently able to balance multiple priorities and adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
- Solid verbal and written communication, as well as, organization and documentation skills with the ability to effectively communicate technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Functional knowledge of current networking technology fundamentals.
- Willing to work evening and weekend hours when necessary for special installations, implementations, and upgrades.
- 5% travel when required
- Advanced knowledge of IBM i operating system.
- Advanced knowledge of Power Systems hardware platform.
- Demonstrated use of IBM i CL commands and scripting.
- Proficient with IBM Backup, Recovery and Media Services.
- Proficient knowledge of OS replication products such as Syncsort Mimix a plus.
- Experience using IBM iDoctor and MPG Performance Navigator to collect and analyze performance data.
- Understanding of external storage technology and IBM Virtual I/O Server (VIOS) a plus.
- Experience with hardware based replication such as IBM Power HA and Spectrum a plus.
- Working knowledge of WebSphere Products (MQ, Application Server).
Job Category: Delivery Engineering
Job Type: Full-Time
Travel Percentage: 0%