The Corporate Communications and Reputation team contributes to CDW success through strategic engagement initiatives, including internal communications, public relations and corporate reputation programs. The team manages and delivers internal and external corporate communications across the enterprise, including coworker engagement, community relations and corporate reputation management. This team is also responsible for building and managing CDW’s corporate citizenship agenda.
The Sr Manager – Corporate Communications role leads the development and execution of high impact internal and external company communications programs focused on key priorities of the organization. The role will work with senior executives across the company, aligning to highest priority and most complex communications assignments.
The Sr. Manager must be able to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and work collaboratively with team members in a wide variety of positions within the company, including members of the executive committee.
Daily responsibilities of the role include leading strategic communication project teams and cross functional teams for top priority focus areas (rollout of company strategy, high impact changes etc.), mentoring and leading (influencing without authority) coworkers on projects, managing agency resources, influencing senior business leaders and partners at various levels across the organization to deliver relevant and impactful communications. Ultimately, this role plays an important part in driving company performance, coworker engagement and shaping the company culture.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Leads project planning, resource allocation and execution of deliverables for highly complex communication programs in support of company strategy, which may include, company strategy deployment, key sales and partner initiatives, key external speaking opportunities, large meeting leader communications etc.
- Influence and direct senior leaders on communications to advance key priorities
- Manage multiple projects concurrently, identifying and elevating resource constraints, roadblocks and deliverables and developing recommendations to supplement team with other internal and external resources as required.
- Oversee work of internal resources as well as outside consultants and agency staff.
- Develop standards and processes to improve efficiencies and effectiveness of team and leaders in the business to educate and train leaders to own more communications as part of their leadership.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize support for strategic initiatives, and prepares communications plans, key messages, presentations and other supporting materials as needed.
- Develop and manage project plans for high visibility communication projects; report out on progress to senior leaders
- Develop & refine core messages and ensure communication plans are integrated and aligned across functions to ensure a clear & consistent articulation of business strategy.
- Foster open, honest, transparent communications between senior leaders, mid-level managers and coworkers in ways that enhance internal engagement.
- Create relevant strategic communication playbooks and templates to help leaders more efficiently and effectively communicate with their teams and better scale communications resources to areas of greatest impact.
- Provide strategic direction to teams managing deployment communications for various functions.
- Measure and assess the overall effectiveness / impact of communications activities through the use of data.
- Create and provide communication strategy and support for key Corporate events and announcements including Partner Summit, CDW Partner of the Year Awards, horizontal solutions campaigns, major trade show, partner events and company news.
- Support executives on internal and external communication needs including organizational announcements, presentations and change and issues management.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with key journalists and other industry leaders and influencers.
Other Required Qualifications
Proven success influencing senior leaders on communications.
Strong executive presence and confidence to challenge the status quo with senior leaders.
Strong business acumen and ability to show up as a business leader / beyond the role of communicator and ramp up very quickly with new projects, departments and teams.
Exceptional and persuasive written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
Ability to identify and recommend outside resources to ensure success of projects.
Able to influence and gain trust of senior leaders through emotional intelligence.
Advanced project management and planning skills.
Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution.
Ability to perform in high pressure situations with multiple stakeholders including senior executives under tight timeframes.
Experience across all dimensions of strategic communications and a willingness to experiment with new ways to communicate.
Proven success working in a matrix environment, influencing without direct authority, and leading large scale, complex change initiatives.
Ability to translate complex business issues into readily understandable, creative and strategic communications for a variety of audiences.
Ability to see implications beyond communications and raise reputational risks as necessary.
Ability to make decisions in a rapidly changing environment and anticipate future needs.
Self-reliant, proactive, assertive, results-oriented.
Optimistic, energetic, flexible, collaborative, easy to work with.
- Track record of overseeing free-lance writers and agency partners.
- Experience collaborating with agencies.
- Previous change management, M&A and global experience preferred.