The Senior Database Administrator deploys and maintains high performing database environments. This role collaborates with infrastructure, IT development, and business partners to design, build, and tune databases that support CDW business objectives. In addition, the Sr. DBA serves as the subject matter expert for junior members of the team and shares best practices and design. This role is guided by relational data modeling design and implementation methodology.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Review database code and objects for standards as part of application code reviews. Collaborate with application teams to develop and document database standards.
- Monitor and support database environments and serve as an escalation point for complex troubleshooting and interactive production support.
- Use database vendor provided tools as well as 3rd party applications to performance tune an entire database system, specific queries and, applications scenarios as presented by the application teams.
- Lead Data Modeling tasks on large, complex projects as well as review and support application development on designs of data models for other medium size projects.
- Create and maintain backup plans using various backup toolsets. Collaborate with infrastructure teams and the Database Architect on determining and documenting the optimal backup policies and strategies.
- Review and deploy database objects via scripts provided by development. This includes tables, procedures, triggers, indexes and data manipulation statements.
- Collaborate with the Database Architect on determining the security policies and procedures and ensures that the databases are in compliance with IT Audit policies. This includes any data cleansing routines or managing any 3rd party encryption toolsets on the various database platforms.
- Install and test database software and support tools as well as service packs and support patches. Develop and maintain standard procedures for installs and work to automate the process.
- Capacity planning of server hardware with assistance from System Engineering based on project specifications and documented best practices. Collaborate with storage engineers on disk capacity projects to ensure proper purging and space allocation metrics are met.
- Serve as the lead contributor to the development and maintenance of internal process and policy documentation.
- Mentor and coach junior team members.
- Identify areas of opportunity and recommend appropriate improvement suggestions.
- Report project/task status to the appropriate Development Manager on a weekly basis (at minimum).
- For SQL Server
- Drive code improvements mostly related to stored procedures and DTS/SSIS packages.
- Install database software and supporting tools as well as service packs and supporting
- Develop and optimize stored procedures, triggers, and automation jobs to aid in maintenance and support of the database systems.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- 5 years experience in database maintenance, design, SQL coding/tuning.
- 1 year experience with structured methodologies and participation in design and development of large-scale applications in a distributed computing environment.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, or equivalent working knowledge/experience.
Other Required Qualifications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with all stakeholders.
- Strong organizational and creative problem-solving skills with the demonstrated ability to be resourceful.
- History of balancing priorities with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
- Advanced working knowledge of the software development life cycle.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain productive cross-functional working relationships.
- Strong analytical skills with critical attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Understanding of object-oriented design and programming techniques.
- Background in leading medium to large size projects and implementation.