Independently manages projects or programs, or act as a Project Manager within a program. Owns all aspects of a product or service offering for a client, from inception to installation. Integrally involved in interaction with sales, consultants, stakeholders and other members of cross-functional teams. Projects are typically of medium to high complexity and may have high visibility in the client or CDW organization. Enterprise PM will often work on projects consisting of emerging and/or highly customized technology. Work with enterprise or strategic clients that will often have strict constraints on one or more of the project components. This position often works with mixed teams with multiple practice/solution areas and complex systems integration which could include multiple Service areas and third party vendors. The CDW Enterprise Project Manager acts as project advocate ensuring success for all stakeholders by driving for results, making the tough call, and building strong relationships with project stakeholders.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Compares/contrasts client’s methodology and is an expert in melding customer methodology and processes with CDW methodology.
- Accountable for project profitability. Monitors, interprets and communicates project budget. Understands budget to actual variations for project phases, makes recommendations and adjustments. Ability to model out budget scenarios for stakeholders. Understands the economics of financial decisions across the portfolio within the client and its impact to CDW.
- Works with clients to position operational expenses vs. capital expenditures
- Validates initial project scope and estimates. Proactively investigates, and assesses the need for change orders. Determines and presents options and makes recommendations for change. Guides and influences stakeholders to best solution.
- Anticipates and successfully mitigates project, political and business risks keeping stakeholders informed at all times.
- Establishes monitors, adjusts and communicates tasks and associated schedule to the project team. Remediating when necessary. Independently able to build project schedules and validate with our engineering teams and sub-contractors.
- Proactively conducts resource planning and optimizing billable schedules, monitoring and adjusting assignments as necessary. Effectively resolves scheduling conflicts across all project resources. Finds creative solutions to resource constraints.
- Ensures all external resources have been properly vetted. Manages associated contracts through ours or the client’s contract administration and purchasing process.
- Identifies, documents, tracks and communicates project issues, aids in bringing to resolution.
- Manages equipment, software, licensing and outside services procurement and delivery schedules.
- Documents outcomes, lessons learned and shares appropriately with colleagues.
- Takes accountability for project results. Is fiscally responsible to the client, the project and to CDW. Holds project team accountable.
- Instills trust with our clients by building strong relationships with stakeholders.
- Leverages business acumen and political savvy as well as relevant personal and CDW experience to build credibility.
- Demonstrates ability to diffuse uncomfortable situations with client and/or project team.
- Is viewed as a resource for assistance and advice. Leads efforts to continuously define, contribute and to improve our overall project management knowledge base across geographies and solution areas.
- Advocates with sales on the value, experience and best practices of the CDW project management services
- Stays abreast of industry best practices through research, conferences, training seminars and participation in professional associations. Shares information across the project management team.
- Establishes and owns all communication documentation (communication plans, schedules/timelines, status reports, quality plan, closure summary, budget, risk plan, etc.) for projects. Manages the quality and delivery of documentation to clients.
- Communicates all aspects of projects to the appropriate stakeholders utilizing communication plan template(s).
- Has clear and concise communication. Leads and facilitates both live and virtual meetings. Keeps meetings on track, on topic and summarizes assigns and publishes follow up items in a timely manner.
- Adapts communication style and medium to the audience needs. Adjusts communications based on complex political landscape.
- Defines strategy and content for formal presentations and coaches project on delivery. Creates talking points and strategic messaging.
- Uses political savvy and all channels of communication to finesse key messaging.
- Manages Stakeholders: Evaluates and addresses more complex organizational and political aspects in managing the project to successful completion. Cognizant of business drivers, stakeholder motivations, buyer influence and the role of the project in the Client’s company overall initiatives. Effectively maneuvering the project through the political landscape. Ability to smoothly balance and manage the competing and conflicting needs of the stakeholders.
- Negotiation: Develops negotiation strategy for complex negotiations, bringing solutions to Sales teams to resolve customer and/or project conflict. Negotiates project changes around cost, scope and effort to agreeable result with a sense of urgency. Ability to win concessions without damaging relationships. Identifies outside influences that will impact project and negotiates with those parties.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making: Works with team members to gather information and determine possible/probable impacts to the project, document mitigation steps taken in troubleshooting and communicate these to the team and customer.
- Bachelor degree in business or computer related field or equivalent experience.
- 9 or more years’ experience in delivering quality Infrastructure Project Management.
- Ability to work weekends and/or off hours as necessary to meet clients' needs.
- This position may require the ability to travel average of 25%.
Other Required Qualifications
- Significant success leading projects that encompass several technologies
- Contribute to project manager knowledge base to aid in improving project management processes as well as coach others.
- Demonstrated ability take accountability for projects and their results, be fiscally responsible and lead teams to meet project success factors.
- Working knowledge of one or more formal project management methodologies proficiency with tools such as Microsoft Project/Office
- Ability to leverage business acumen, political savvy, relevant personal and CDW experience, perseverance and communication skills to build credibility.
- Excellent written, presentation, and verbal communication skills. Adjusts communication based on complex political landscape. Defines strategy and content for formal presentations and coaches project team on delivery
- PMP certification preferred.
- Understands ITIL Framework