Reporting to CDW’s VP and Deputy General Counsel, the Senior Counsel, Employment will be responsible for providing business-focused ongoing advice and counsel to Coworker Services (human resources) and business units with respect to a broad array of employment matters. While this position is based in Lincolnshire, the successful candidate will have the flexibility of working from both CDW’s downtown and Lincolnshire locations if desired.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Work closely and partner with Coworker Services and other business units regarding employment-related issues, such as terminations, disciplinary actions, training, investigations, disability issues, FMLA issues, FLSA issues, noncompetes/nonsolicits and employment policies. Ensure that the advice and counsel provided aligns with both CDW’s strategic objectives and the principles set forth in CDW’s value statement, the CDW Way.
- In conjunction with CDW’s inhouse litigation attorney, manage outside counsel with regard to employment litigation, including consultation with outside counsel regarding strategy and facts, reviewing all court/agency filings and managing discovery processes.
- Draft position statements in response to charges filed with administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Department of Labor.
- Oversee the scope, implementation and documentation of internal investigations.
- Assist in development of best practices with regard to Coworker Services processes, procedures and policies.
- Draft and review employee communications, policies and agreements.
- Assist with development of training programs for coworkers regarding employment issues such as discrimination, harassment, disability, leaves of absence and documentation of disciplinary actions.
- Provide employment law support to acquisition, divestiture and similar transactions as required.
- Partner on an ongoing basis with other members of the Legal Department staff in executing the responsibilities of the position. Serve as a resource to the Legal Department on employment law issues. Participate as a full member of the corporate Legal Department staff.
- Be focused and proactive in tracking federal and state laws and regularly update Coworker Services and other appropriate departments with regard to new legislation. Identify trends and plan for risks in the employment area.
- Travel periodically as required.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- A JD Degree from an accredited law school, with demonstrated academic success.
- At least 10 years of relevant employment law experience.
- License to practice law and in good standing under the Bar of any state that enables admission to practice as in-house counsel in Illinois.
Other Required Qualifications
- Proven success in partnering with and effectively counseling clients on a wide array of employment law-related issues, such as terminations, disciplinary actions, training, investigations, disability issues, FMLA issues, FLSA issues, noncompetes/nonsolicits and employment policies.
- Ability to work autonomously, issue spot and provide incisive, practical and business-focused employment advice and counsel. Creativity and resourcefulness. Strong problem-solving skills with a pragmatic orientation. Ability to balance strategic and tactical issues.
- Demonstrated leadership talent, with the ability to motivate and interface with employees at all levels by virtue of keen business acumen, excellent judgment, professional competence, emotional intelligence, credibility, flexibility and personal integrity.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex legal concepts to non-lawyers and to interact with stakeholders of all levels, including senior management.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with an ability to inspire trust and confidence with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong project management experience with a proven history of balancing competing priorities and ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong cross-functional relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience in the following areas is a plus: international, employee benefits and experience working with employment issues related to sales and technology solutions.
- Experience with both a corporation and a law firm.