This job posting is no longer active
The Senior System Engineer recommends, designs, implements, and optimizes CDW’s server and application infrastructure. The Senior Engineer applies expert knowledge and skills to deliver a stable, secure, fault tolerant, scalable, and flexible server infrastructure for CDW’s operations. The role leads support efforts when server and application problems arise, and coordinates and drives successful implementations with CDW staff and vendor personnel, including contributing to CDW’s server and application technology strategy and participating in product evaluation and selection. This individual will also mentor and provide guidance to the System Engineering staff.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Ability to develop and support enterprise automation and orchestration tools
- Proficient with PowerShell and other enterprise scripting languages
- Proficient with Active Directory infrastructure configuration and administration
- Recommend A/D configuration improvements optimize A/D infrastructure
- Support VMware infrastructure and cloud platforms
- Troubleshoot, remediate, and perform root cause analysis on CDW server infrastructure
- Research, evaluate, test, implement and support new software and hardware
- Provide technical documentation and data reports for CDW’s server infrastructure
- Identify, recommend, and implement hardware upgrades and coordinates installation activities
- Ensure proper software and firmware patch levels on servers using enterprise deployment tools
- Support security policies, practices, and guidelines for the server infrastructure
- Ability to develop and implement new processes and procedures
- Manage and maintain the Active Directory, Domain Name Resolution, Distributed File System (DFS), File Services, FTP, and Windows Application server rolls within a virtual and physical architecture
- Collaborate with business owners to complete server project requirements
- Support, install, maintain, and troubleshoot servers and related software
- Monitor servers for system error events, failures, and perform root cause analysis to resolve issues
- Support Linux server requests and troubleshooting
- Coordinate and/or complete repairs of physical and logical failures
- Coordinate with IT Help Desk to communicate issue status, and respond to questions
- Work with CDW software and hardware vendors to resolve support issues
- Respond to and resolve support cases generated in CDW’s support ticketing system
- Provide leadership and mentoring to junior engineers
- Participate in a weekly on-call rotation and after hours support as needed
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 7+ years of experience in Information Technology Engineering
Other Required Qualifications
- Technical certifications associated to the chosen technological track.
- Expert working knowledge of the appropriate storage systems and physical hardware.
- Proven history of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
- Flexibility to work evening and weekend hours as necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to relay technical information to a non-technical audience and effectively interact with all stakeholders including senior leadership.
- Solid process documentation skills.
- Proficient with enterprise automation and orchestration tools
- Proficient with Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager
- Proficient with Microsoft System Center Operations Manager
- Experience with Microsoft System Center Orchestrator
- Experience with Microsoft System Center Service Manager
- Proficient with VMware management, power CLI, and support practices
- Proficient with Active Directory, Azure, and ADFS infrastructure
- Proficient with server security concepts and hardening practices
- Experience with HP hardware and One View management
- Experience with DR planning, concepts, and strategies
- Experience with PKI infrastructure and CA management
- Experience managing team projects and mentoring
- Experience managing Red Hat Linux servers and environments
- Preferred Certifications: MCSE, VCP, RHCSA
Job Category: Delivery Engineering
Job Type: Full-Time
Travel Percentage: 0%