The Proposal Specialist focuses on winning the largest, most complex proposal efforts. This position serves as the central point of strategy and effort for CDW in the pursuit of high visibility contracts deemed critical to the company. The Sr. Proposal Specialist maximizes company revenue and profit through strategic wins and sales generated by responses to request for proposal (RFP), request for information (RFI), and request for quotation (RFQ). These are referred to as "Proposal Documents."
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Research the customers and likely competitors to understand the complete environment, politics, limitations, hot points and other factors that will translate to a response that wins.
- Assemble stakeholders (proposal project team) to include senior management from various departments. Identify roles, responsibilities and timelines. With project team, discern strategies and win themes and incorporate into capture plan.
- Engage necessary resources such as Contract Specialists and Program Managers, and other company departments such as logistics and credit; engage outside resources such as vendors, partners and customers.
- Assist in the development of a pricing strategy. Manage appropriate contributors and approvers of pricing to ensure the team accounts for all potential costs to maximize profit.
- Review final pricing offer for accuracy and completeness.
- Coordinate all necessary documentation, including NDAs, Teaming Agreements and pricing letters, which support the offer.
- Prepare professionally written responses to Proposal Documents that specifically address customer requirements while positioning CDW for success; ensure compliance, accuracy, timeliness and that win-theme is consistent and apparent.
- Lead post-submission exercises such as presentations, clarifications, ‘best and final offers’ and protests, where applicable.
- Document and report on project status including eventual capture information and proper close out of opportunities including proposal debriefing and transition to Program Management, where applicable.
- Lead or participate in weekly discussions to determine work assignments.
- Actively participate in department-sponsored and other training programs as applicable
- When required, prepare and revise capture plans for target opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2 years of relevant work experience
- 3 years specific proposal writing experience
Other Required Qualifications
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications and Adobe Acrobat
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong attention to detail, deadlines, multiple efforts and follow-up
- Strategic thinker able to identify winning themes and solutions
- Project Management skills
- Manage conflicting motivations and agendas among stakeholders
- Dynamic interpersonal skills to interact with all levels of management; and demonstrate excellent organizational, interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Experience writing federal or government contracts
- Five years proposal experience and/or technical writing experience outside CDW
- Professional certifications such as APMP (Association of Proposal Management Professionals) or PMI (Project Management Institute)
- Capture or business development experience
- Demonstrable IT product, contract and customer knowledge
- Proficient in Visio
- Experience with proposal assembly software