The Business Analyst role leads business and functional requirements gathering activities, business solution design and systems analysis. This role also designs, documents, measures and optimizes key business processes. This Business Analyst is guided by project management methodology in development of requirement specifications for organizational projects.
The PPM Business Analyst ensures the integrity, consistency and scalability of CDW’s Product and Partner Management reporting and decision support systems. This role designs and develops reporting & analyses to expand the business unit’s capacity to monitor and drive performance among coworkers, suppliers and partners, to make effective decisions, and to execute on PPM’s strategic-planning projects.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Collaborate with stakeholders to clarify project requirements and business objectives and acquire commitments.
- Decompose business problems quickly and work with the project team to determine the root cause and provide solution alternatives.
- Derive a detailed understanding of the stated business problem and objectives and work with the stakeholder and technical team toward resolution to achieve the objectives.
- Plan and facilitate requirements gathering utilizing focus sessions, one-on-one interviews, and job shadowing.
- Utilize advanced modeling techniques to develop high-level system narratives, presentations, storyboards, use cases and user interface prototypes.
- Work with QA team to develop system test plans, ensure software quality assurance (SQA) standards are achieved, and validate that business goals are accomplished.
- Serve as a conduit/broker for cross-functional collaboration & knowledge sharing.
- Perform quantitative & qualitative analysis to help justify the investment necessary to deliver a solution.
- Build credibility and trust across stakeholder groups.
Key Areas of Responsibility (PPM Specific)
- Produce sound analysis in support of Product and Partner Management decision makers to drive tactical and strategic department objectives.
- Work with stakeholders to gather prioritized requirements, establish scope, select appropriate analytical methodologies, and set expectations for reporting or analysis deliverables, in order to successfully address business issues.
- Design and develop models for econometric and quantitative analysis around partner, product and supply chain management.
- Provide compilation, validation and review for analysis of primary-source sourcing, operations and logistics data.
- Develop actionable reports and tools that support effective management of working capital, cost control, revenue generation and profit optimization.
- Gather and prepare supporting analysis and design documentation from a business perspective.
- Assist with alignment of project objectives and solutions to organizational business strategies and objectives.
- Develop strong internal relationships with key stakeholders and subject-matter experts across the organization.
- Act as an active contributor to process improvement by remaining current in software engineering best practices.
Additional IT Specific Responsibilities
- Serve as an active contributor to company-shared knowledge repositories (wikis, blogs, sharepoint, intranet, etc.).
- Mentor and educate IT and business colleagues about business analysis discipline and requirements phase within development lifecycle.
- Maintain an understanding of innovative IT product capabilities, marketplace and business opportunities.
Additional PPM Specific Responsibilities
- Design and develop production reports for regular consumption by internal and external stakeholders. Provide ongoing support for these reports.
- Validate, research and audit (external) data sources and internally-developed collections to minimize data integrity risk.
- Provides tactical analyses and troubleshooting of the business unit’s existing reports and data sources.
- Provide front-line application support to individual consumers of group’s work product (i.e. MS Excel and Access) as needed.
The information in this position description is intended to convey information about the key responsibilities and requirements of the position. It is not an exhaustive list of the skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the opportunity. Responsibilities are subject to change.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or an IT related field.
- 2 years experience in identifying and documenting business needs and specifications utilizing business analysis and system design techniques.
Minimum Qualifications (PPM Specific)
- 5 years of work experience in an analytical position
Other Required Qualifications
- Demonstrated work experience in process definition including facilitation, process documentation, change control, and process improvement.
- Successful track record of facilitating and leading meetings, tailoring messages to the given audience.
- Experience in evaluating information, identifying risks and opportunities, while possessing creative problem solving skills with an understanding of business concepts and models.
- Proven elicitation and facilitation skills of project and system requirements.
- Demonstrated negotiation and persuasion skills, with the ability to enable win-win resolutions.
- Excellent written and verbal and communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with all stakeholders
- History of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
- Critical attention to detail and solid creative problem solving skills.
Additional IT Specific Qualifications
- Working knowledge of data processing fundamentals including entity relationship diagrams, database models, structured application design and IT infrastructure (networking and hardware).
- Familiarity in requirements gathering software, data mining tools, Microsoft Office applications, as well as CA Clarity.
Additional PPM Specific Qualifications
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office applications, particularly in Excel and Access
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with little direction and make sound business decisions
- History of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to quickly adapt to the changing needs of the business and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate process and systems issues to stakeholders
- Working knowledge of presentation-layer BI applications (e.g. Cognos, ProClarity)
- Previous work as experience in a business analyst capacity.
- Masters degree in Business or Advanced Information Technologies
- Familiarity with cost/benefit and ROI data analysis.
- Industry Certifications (PMP, CBAP, Six Sigma).
- Strong conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated influence without authority.
- History in teaching or mentoring professionals.
- Thought leader in advanced modeling techniques to help define business processes, system usage, behavior and information capture.
Preferred Qualifications (PPM Specific)
- Professional certification (e.g. ISM CPM, APICS CSCP)
- Working knowledge of supply chain management strategies/practices (e.g. CPFR, SRM, Lean)
- Working knowledge of SQL, MDX and/or other database query language(s)
- Working knowledge of AS400 or similar ERP