The Manager, Services Accounting & Analysis manages the company’s services accounting function which supports the proper revenue recognition, cost of sales and gross profit presentation, and balance sheet positions for CDW’s United States services business (inclusive of managed, professional, and subscription services).
This position manages monthly revenue and cost activities, performs analysis around revenue and margins, maintains sound internal controls and procedures in support of services function.
The manager will work with external and internal auditors and collaborate with technical accounting policy to apply guidance and operationalize with the business. Additionally, the manager will help deliver tools and reporting to the business, performs special projects on an as needed basis and act as a thought leader associated with services finance decisions globally.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manages a team of professionals that includes their coaching, development and performance management.
- Collaborates with organizations across the company (legal, sales, order management, etc.) to influence critical behavior and process changes that could mitigate revenue recognition risks, operationalize processes and enhance controls. This includes liaising with sales where needed on significant sales transactions, and ensuring the accounting implications are fully understood and communicated.
- Develops and maintains revenue recognition procedures to ensure accounting is appropriate based on CDW’s policies.
- Work closely with CDW’s technical accounting policy team to ensure that revenue recognition policies and procedures are consistent and compliant with GAAP and all technical pronouncements.
- Assists in the design, execution and evaluation of revenue controls as well as interfacing with both internal and external auditors.
- Implements new systems, or support changes to existing systems, as they relate to revenue recognition.
- Review and approve journal entries and account reconciliations, as needed.
- Works to operationalize new revenue recognition policies and procedures once developed and new revenue streams.
- Serves as an accounting resource to other areas of the Company as it relates to revenue recognition.
- Maintains effective system of internal accounting controls in support of SOX compliance.
- Oversees daily activities surrounding revenue recognition such as review of material sales transactions, etc.
- Performs ad hoc reporting and special projects as assigned.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- External candidates:
- 5 years of finance experience, with at least 3 years in an accounting role
- 1 year of management experience
- Internal candidates:
- 4 years of finance experience, with at least 3 years in an accounting role
- 1 year of management experience
Other Required Qualifications
- Strong knowledge of ASC 606.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders, including senior leadership
- Demonstrated excellent knowledge of accounting and finance principles and practices with ability to apply them in a business analysis situation
- Excellent technical accounting skills
- Demonstrated excellent organization and planning skills with critical attention to detail
- Track record of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business, while meeting deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications with strong experience in Excel
- Proven track record in problem analysis with the ability to creatively and proactively problem solve
- Track record of identifying process improvements, and making appropriate recommendations
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to influence stakeholders
- Advanced analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport and maintain productive working relationships cross-functionally
- Excellent people management skills
- Experience with ERP packages, including PeopleSoft general ledger, and other analytical tools such as Hyperion/Smartview. Experience with a revenue accounting tool (such as RevPro) would also be an advantage.