The Sr. Customer Success Manager (CSM) role focuses on maximizing customer value and accelerated adoption of their supported solutions. This role coordinates across sales, pre-sales, services, and channel teams to lead customer success strategies. The incumbent analyzes the environment including customer expectations, competitive landscape as well as the customer's technical requirements and define actions to be performed in the solution lifecycle.
The Sr. CSM develops and maintains strategic relationships with Sales & Services Management of the customers they support and is seen as a trusted advisor to grow business.
The Sr. CSM is expected to be a subject matter expert in multiple families of solutions.
The incumbent in this role operates independently using standard approaches, existing tools, templates, and resources; shares knowledge and information that may benefit the team.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Is a passionate learner who demonstrates continuous learning by proactively expanding technical depth in products, solutions, and services.
- Operates with the perspective and insight that business needs, not just technology, establish the limits on what can be achieved.
- Recommends services that complement and/or round out proposed solution.
- Uses team tools, templates, resources, and processes for maximum efficiency, productivity, consistency, and high quality execution.
- Contributes to the team’s knowledge base and readily shares knowledge with peers.
- Assists new team members by answering questions and sharing expertise on the tools of the job.
- Assists new hires by answering questions and sharing information.
- Be a recognized expert and thought leader in the practical application of your aligned solution
- Follows up on implemented solutions and identifies new opportunities that complement the work that was completed.
- Researches and reviews customer profile information; applies knowledge of the vertical to develop customer intimacy prior to sales calls and/or strategy sessions.
- Uses various tools to calculate the Total Cost of Ownership and/or Return on Investment and explains to customers and Sales the business value of a solution and its benefits.
- Uses technology assessments and demos as a sales tool for furthering sales opportunities; identifies cross sell-and/or up-sell opportunities for an engagement, equips/assists Sales to pursue it.
- Operates in a regular cadence with partners to educate, plan, and execute on joint strategies in collaboration with multiple stakeholders.
- Understands profit margin and how to increase profitability; works cooperatively with field sales to ensure healthy profitability.
- Produces marketing-type documents and materials (e.g., presentation) to customer in territory.
- Establish a trusted/strategic advisor relationship with each assigned customer and drive continued value of our solutions.
- Work with clients to establish critical goals, or other key performance indicators and aid the customer in achieving their goals.
- Advocate customer needs/issues cross-departmentally.
- Engage with customer executives and other influential stakeholders to identify, define, track and measure the overall impact of your aligned solutions to an organization.
- Ensures customer creates value through defining and achieving business outcomes
- Navigate easily in traditional complex Enterprise environments
- Demonstrates advanced insights and understanding of customers business/industry.
- Escalate critical customer issues and ensure escalation ownership with internal resources
- Act as Voice of the Customer and provide feedback to Services, Sales, Operations and Channel teams as appropriate.
- Ensure customers are actively participating as a reference in support of the field winning new business
- Drive customer readiness for service updates, ensuring they are aware of and prepared for potential impacts
- Responds to questions about partner registrations, associated registration issues, and customer engagement history.
- Prioritizes time spent on opportunities based on potential return on investment.
- Develops Statements of Work (including work estimates), RFPs, RFIs, and proposal content.
- Maintains pre-sales pipeline data, develops plans, and takes actions to move opportunities to closure.
- Develop and deliver “success plans” to key customers identifying stakeholders, milestones, metrics, and risks inherent in an implementation.
- Partner with the Sales organization in select competitive sales cycles to drive revenue opportunities in new and existing accounts
- Ability to orchestrate and gain strong buy-in with multiple external (e.g. Channel Partner) and internal teams (Account Manager, Field Solution Architect, Customer Engagement Manager) and be highly connected to solution Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) throughout the customer’s lifecycle.
- Measure and the report the impact of the offerings currently in place, so that the customer and CDW have a common understanding of the value they are receiving toward achieving their expected outcomes.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Four-year minimum technical pre-sales or technical architecting experience
- Prior experience in Customer Success or equivalent history of increasing customer satisfaction, adoption, and retention.
- Proven ability to drive continuous value of solution(s)
- Experience working with enterprise customers
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented and analytical
- Strong team player but still a self-starter
- Thrives in a multi-tasking environment and can adjust priorities on-the-fly.
- Stay up to date on products, applications, technical service, market conditions, competitive activities, advertising, and promotional trends through the reading of pertinent literature, seminars, and online training
- Knowledge and proven success of engaging and working with sales teams
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, including consulting skills
- Strong passion for learning and teaching others
- Ability to think creatively and come up with proactive ideas that will increase sales
- Strong problem solving skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively and in a constructive manner with management, peers and coworkers
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications