This job posting is no longer active
The Senior Corporate Counsel is an integral part of the CDW legal team and a trusted business partner. This person will be part of a team that acts as business and regulatory counsel to Public Sector Sales that handles a variety of legal and regulatory matters with a focus on State and Local Government Sales matters. The Senior Corporate Counsel provides day-to-day advice and guidance to help each Public sector business segment meet its objectives through a deep understanding of the business, knowledge of the laws and regulations applicable to that business and experience with regulatory matters and contracting applicable to each segment’s businesses.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Provide legal counsel on diverse regulatory and compliance matters, including those impacting public sector sales
- Ensure that CDW management and coworkers have knowledge of and act in compliance with applicable laws and regulations impacting the business.
- Support and manage elements of the Company’s Ethics and Compliance program including the helpline reporting system, coworker training, and policy development and implementation.
- Keep abreast of legal and regulatory developments impacting the business and provide practical training, communication, and advice to CDW management and coworkers regarding such developments.
- Proactively identify legal trends within the business and initiate practical solutions.
Track state laws in those states which may impact CDW and regularly update appropriate departments with regard to new legislation. Identify trends and plan for related risks.
- Identify process improvements that will facilitate effectively mitigating and managing legal business risks, reduce outside counsel costs, improve quality of service and ensure compliance with CDW’s legal requirements.
- Manage outside counsel and/or assist inside counsel with regard to regulatory matters, including consultation with outside counsel and inside counsel regarding strategy and facts, reviewing all court/agency filings and managing discovery processes.
- Anticipate and counsel CDW management leaders regarding potential disputes.
- Utilize Legal Department matter management system and document management system to manage internal matters and coordinate matters with outside counsel and to maintain electronic filing system.
- Participate as a full member of the corporate Legal Department staff. Coordinate with corporate Legal Department to ensure consistency with corporate legal policies. Also,
Proactively manage to CDW legal budget.
- Assist with special projects and other matters as needed to support the General Counsel and Assistant General Counsel.
- Provide a broad array of legal advice to all Public business segments (Healthcare, State/Local Governments, Federal Government, Education, and Federal Government (Civilian and Department of Defense) with a focus on State and Local Government business.
- Collaborate with and advise various internal clients and supporting departments, such as Finance, the Capture Team, Contract Negotiators and Program Management.
- Provide leadership and guidance to help the business unit meet its objectives through deep understanding of each business segment and the application of laws/regulations to those segments. Establish rapport and build positive, trusted working relationships with business unit management and coworkers at all levels to ensure collaboration on the proactive engagement.
- Support the business in a variety of regulatory matters, including government protests, security clearance matters and other matters related to all federal, state and local procurement matters.
- Serve as a legal-business advisor to help define the structure of complex agreements and significant solicitations or RFP’s. Provide pragmatic legal advice always managing risk through business and legal counsel.
- Demonstrate command of current and developing legal and regulatory developments impacting the segment businesses and provide practical training, communication, and advice to CDW management and coworkers regarding such developments.
- Collaborate, support and lead various Legal Department initiatives either as a result of issues arising in Public Sector or as a result of Legal Department objectives.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- 7 years significant legal experience within a corporation or law firm.
- Licensed to practice law in Illinois.
- Corporate, commercial and regulatory legal experience required.
- Proven success in partnering with and effectively counseling internal business clients on a wide array of matters related to doing business with or selling to federal and SLED (state, local and education) with a focus on sales to state and local government customers, including protests.
- Ability to work autonomously, issue spot and provide incisive, practical and business-focused advice and counsel. Ability to creatively and resourcefully problem-solve with a pragmatic orientation. Ability to balance strategic and tactical issues.
- Proven ability to resolve complex legal issues in a practical manner and to grasp creative/complex business ideas and express them clearly and concisely in a written product.
- The ability to juggle competing priorities and adjust priorities as business requires.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex legal concepts to non-lawyers and to interact with stakeholders of all levels, including senior management.
- Demonstrated that he/she is detail-oriented, well-organized, and able to manage time efficiently.
- Presented strong interpersonal skills; acted as team player with ability to deal effectively with individuals at all levels and across business units.
- Proven ability to deliver well organized, clear presentations in groups and in one-on-one meetings.
- Proven ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated that he/she is able to communicate and work effectively within the legal department and across business units.
- Mid-level experience with government protests.
- Technology experience a plus.
- Experience with FAR/DFAR compliance.
- Experience with government and education contracting.
Job Category: Legal
Job Type: Full-Time
Travel Percentage: 0%