This role will be responsible for developing relationships with coworkers outside of the Tax Department to keep abreast of changes to our business.
The Senior Sales Tax Specialist I provides customer service to internal and external customers of CDW relating to sales and use tax matters. The Sales Tax Specialist I resolves sales tax issues on more complex sales transactions.
This position serves as a role model for junior team members and assists with the training of new co-workers.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Assist with implementing process improvement initiatives.
- Provide training and guidance for new co-workers, junior team members, and internal departments.
- Independently resolve complex sales and use tax questions regarding exemption certificates, product taxability, tax rates, and the taxability of specific sales transactions.
- Draft department memos for complex sales tax decisions and announcements.
- Monitor and interpret jurisdictional tax law changes regarding exemption certificates and the tax treatment of products or services relevant to our business operations.
- Monitor the junior team members efforts in determining the appropriateness of customer provided exempt documentation.
- Monitor trends and root causes of repetitive tax issues and implement preventative measures.
- Manage the tax mailbox for special tax requests or projects.
- Prepare tax presentations and educate other departments on sales tax matters.
- Maintain tax documentation including resale and exemption certificates, W9 forms, taxability matrixes, and department training guides.
- Maintain department SharePoint site.
- Prepare annual resale certificates to be provided to suppliers.
- Participate in research projects pertaining to product taxability and taxability of specific sales transactions.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of previous tax experience, OR
- High School Diploma and 6 years of tax experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with all stakeholders including state government representatives.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications with advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Able to research, analyze, and interpret complex state and local tax regulations, tax periodicals, and technical documents.
- Strong interpersonal, project management, and leadership skills.
- A high level of confidence, attention to detail and accuracy, and ability to perform actions with integrity and sound judgment.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic and fast paced business environment.
- CPA or advanced degree in accounting/tax.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, or Finance.
- Experience with tax compliance software and tax research software.
- IBM iSeries or Peoplesoft experience.
- Vertex tax software experience.
- Experience in the technology industry.