The Sr. Corporate Counsel is a recognized subject matter expert in commercial contract matters and provides high-quality, proactive and cost-effective legal counsel and guidance to the corporation regarding all aspects of day-to-day business.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Provides legal counsel on diverse contract matters affecting day-to-day business operations; assists, advises, investigates, researches and resolves legal matters within corporate legal policies.
- Assists in the development of standardized legal documents for customers and vendors, including terms and conditions of sale, master services agreements, rules for sweepstakes and contests, reseller and distributor agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Reviews, drafts and negotiates various U.S. and international corporate contracts, such as master services, subcontractor, nondisclosure, marketing, distributor, reseller, purchasing, consulting, and event agreements.
- Assists on matters related to patent, trademark, and other intellectual property matters.
- Coordinates legal services provided by contract manager, paralegal, contract support personnel and outside counsel.
- Effectively able to integrate subject matter expertise and business knowledge to develop practical solutions to legal matters within the commercial sector with an emphasis on technology, including cloud services (e.g., SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, IoT), managed services, professional services, software license agreements, and financing agreements.
- Identifies process improvements that will prevent or minimize legal and business risks, reduce outside counsel costs, improve quality of service, and ensure compliance with the Company’s legal requirements.
- Provides sound legal advice that impacts the function’s objectives and/or operations in terms of time, resources, costs, revenue, funds and achievement of broader Company objectives.
- Develops deep expertise in specific field of knowledge and is recognized inside and outside the Company as a subject matter expert. Educates internal and external customers on area of expertise.
- Prioritizes and sets objectives within strategy and implements human capital and resources plans.
- Utilize outside counsel and other external resources cost effectively.
- Keeps current in and proactively addresses commercial issues on specific projects.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- JD Degree
- Minimum 7 years legal experience in a corporate or law firm setting with specific experience in commercial contracts.
- Licensed to practice law in state where position is located and other relevant states.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and resolve complex legal issues in a practical manner.
- Ability to succinctly and effectively communicate legal issues to business clients.
- Demonstrated ability to grasp creative/complex business ideas and express them clearly in a written product.
- Strong oral and written communication, research and negotiation skills.
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with individuals at all levels and across business units.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple assignments and priorities and produce high-quality work in a timely manner.
- Proactive in recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues and developing resolutions.
- Understands strategic and tactical objectives of the department and company.
- Must be detail-oriented, well-organized, and able to manage time efficiently.
- Independent self-starter with positive customer service attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Delivers well organized, clear presentations in groups and in one-on-one settings.
- Incumbent will be expected to handle own workload and operate with a minimum of supervision. The incumbent will be required to balance the needs and demands of the business to which he/she is assigned with the overall direction and requirements of the parent corporation.
- This position will be located in Chicago market.
- Experience supporting M&A transactions is a plus.
- Experience supporting international customer transactions is a plus.