CDW’s vision is to be the best national provider of Integrated Technology Solutions. We’ll achieve this reputation by continuing to delight our customers and being the employer of choice for Integrated Technology Solutions. Technical Architects at CDW are smart, hard-working technology consultants who enjoy teaming with other best and brightest technology consultants on highly visible, technically challenging projects and offerings. We are looking for high-caliber, well-rounded professionals who are passionate about emerging technology, projects, and technology consulting.
Technical Architects are technology thought leaders at CDW. Technical Architects apply the necessary technical breadth and depth to develop successful CDW services offerings and raise the overall technical capabilities of CDW engineers. Additionally, the GCP Technical Architect will work within 3rd party tools to analyze customer’s cloud environments to ensure they are operationally healthy and efficient and if not, provide feedback on how to bring them back on track.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Planning: – In the support of the shared services delivery model, set standards for and provide leadership and guidance around the creation of reference architectures and road maps which clearly tie back to business drivers, service delivery targets and business functional and technical requirements. This includes the development of projects and related budget line items.
- Design:– Oversee the creation of documentation artifact standards for Reference Architecture, design, deployment planning, hardware and software standards and standard building blocks, which will serve as the guiding framework for technology investments by clearly defining business service objectives and mapping them to architecture, technologies and processes needed to satisfy them.
- Implementation: – Execute plan including approvals to spend allocated budget. May require project management and/or sponsorship responsibilities along with collaborating with CDW business units.
- Operations: – Design a comprehensive technology lifecyle management process, including the definition of required artifacts, approval processes, risk profiles and technology refresh cycles.
- Customers: – Solicit input/feedback from both internal and external customers to shape CDW services.
- Vendors – Working with other CDW business areas (PPM, Strategic Solutions), develop and grow vendor relationships pertinent to Services success.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR DELIGHTING CUSTOMERS - The CDW Engagement Methodology and the CDW Operations Framework define the standards to deliver projects and managed services that will delight our customers. Here are the roles that Technical Architects play in the Methodology and Framework:
- Customer: - Owns the account relationship, including onboarding, billing, client satisfaction, monthly account reviews and quarterly business reviews.
- Product Definition: – collaborate with Product/Service Development Managers and solution sales teams to identify and validate new Advanced Technology service solution opportunities, build standard operating procedures for solution implementation and support, help to validate economic viability of solutions and to help to build customer value.
- Sales: – Provide deep and broad technical support on GCP to Solution Specialist, review system designs and participate in bid assurance, as required by customers.
- Planning:– Participate in kickoff meetings, build solution implementation roadmaps, collaborate with Project Manager and Managing Consultant or Engineer to ensure successful execution of project plans, as required by customers.
- Partner Development: - Working with other CDW business areas (PPM, Strategic Solutions, Professional Services) to develop and grow our partnership with GCP to align our services with their portfolio.
- Design:– Create and/or evaluate technical designs for customer systems, develop test plans, build proof of concepts and participate in design reviews to ensure alignment with customer’s business requirements.
- Implementation: – Lead first-to-market advanced technology pilots and engagements to help establish CDW as the first choice provider of Advanced Technology solutions, conduct technology envisioning sessions, perform technology readiness assessments, health checks, and project milestone reviews and deliver technical training as required by customers. Technical Architects may also be called upon to resolve mission critical customer issues.
- Closure: – Participate in post-project debrief sessions, archive intellectual property and transfer knowledge to Engineers and Managed Services and Practice teams.
- Operations: – Take practice business plans and create technical roadmaps and strategies for implementation and operations, drive updates to CDW's Operations Framework and establish cross-technology designs and plans. Creation of tools is also part of the role.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR BUILDING EMPLOYER OF CHOICE REPUTATION - Technical Architects are charged with accelerating the technical development of Engineers. Here are the practices that Technical Architects apply to grow the best and brightest technical professionals.
- Coaching and Development – collaborate with Product Managers, Professional Services Managers and Managing Consultants to build staff and training plans for new effective implementation of Advanced Technology Solutions, provide troubleshooting support for CDW Engineers and on-the-job mentoring for to - be Technical Architects, as required by Engineers.
- Knowledge Sharing and Training– work with Product Managers, Professional Services Managers, Managing Consultants and Training Managers to develop training curriculum for new Advanced Technology solutions. Deliver or facilitate technical training to Engineers, contribute, lead or own internal online discussion groups and virtual team meetings.
- Technology Labs– lead the build-out of engineering labs. This includes driving procurement strategies, vendor early-field trials (EFT’s), and lab documentation and administration.
- Intellectual Property Development – build standard operating procedures for solution implementation and support, author technical white papers, construct tools and processes to reduce the cost of delivering projects, create a standard Engineer toolkit, build virtual labs for internal, hands-on training, implement and deliver customer training and present at vendor partner conferences.
ACCOUNTABILITY - Technical Architects are ultimately accountable for:
- Working with product management to manage profitable, lifecycle storage solution offerings.
- Selling work on projects, through other Engineers and Solutions Specialists.
- Billing work on projects, individually and through our Services Engineers.
- Monthly and quarterly operational and governance reporting.
- Developing and implementing intellectual property, for the benefit of other Engineers.
- Significant involvement in and leadership of managed/hosted/shared network designs and plans.
- Product Management and Development Labs – Architecture, budgeting, procurement and implementation with the goal of maintaining product currency within the PM and Development labs.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Computer Science, a related technical degree or equivalent.
- Seven to ten years of large - scale, enterprise - class planning, design, implementation, and support experience.
- Five years of consulting experience.
- GCP Professional certification such as, DevOps, Architect, Security…etc.
Other Required Qualifications
- In-depth knowledge of migrating to SaaS solutions, implementing, and managing IaaS solutions, and administration experience with Cloud solutions.
- Advanced level technical skills such as Git, PowerShell scripting and Active Directory.
- Must possess excellent communications skills both orally and written with the ability to effectively interact with Stakeholders and various cross functional teams as well as customers.
- Proven ability to proactively collaborate and build relationships, take initiative, and creatively problem solve.
- History of successfully coordinating complex projects with multiple facets and stakeholders.
- Applicant should demonstrate solid attention to detail and a penchant for accuracy
- Excellent analytical skills. Demonstrated ability to understand data finding to draw conclusions and develop actionable recommendations.
- Demonstrated accountability for delivery against business goals and objectives.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25% to other CDW locations, meetings, and client sites.
- Project oversight responsibilities, management and technical leadership and engineer mentoring experience.
- ITIL, Agile, PMP or Six Sigma knowledge
- Experience with other cloud based services outside of GCP