The Tax Manager will play a critical role by supporting the annual goals and objectives of the tax function, will implement process improvement initiatives and mentor and train other members of the tax team. The Tax Manager will also be responsible for developing relationships with coworkers outside of the Tax Department to keep abreast of changes to our business.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manage key tax processes including developing and maintaining detail work plans, communicating internal and external due dates to team and motivating team to meet established deadlines.
- Prepare consolidated worldwide effective tax rate and cash tax workpapers for financial statement and forecasting processes.
- Explain and document material changes in effective tax rate, cash taxes and other tax account balances.
- Develop monthly and quarterly tax provision journal entries and assist with preparing financial statement disclosures.
- Review assigned book-tax differences.
- Research tax accounting issues and communicate conclusions and recommendations to management through written technical memos.
- Develop income tax journal entries for acquisition purchase accounting.
- Identify, communicate and document uncertain tax positions and valuation allowances.
- Implement tax provision process improvement initiatives including identifying opportunities to efficiently transfer tax data between financial accounting and tax applications in order to reduce tax provision cycle times.
- Assist the Tax Management in maintaining current relationships with external consultants as well as the relationships with other finance teams with whom we collaborate.
- Responsible for training, mentoring, coaching and performance management and fostering a culture of accountability.
- As needed, assist with initial review of income tax and franchise tax compliance. Compliance includes, but is not limited to, the federal and state consolidated returns and workpapers, separate state tax returns and workpapers, the quarterly estimate calculations, and the annual extension calculations.
- Manage tax department internal controls and coordinate documentation evidencing internal controls are operating as designed, working with both internal stakeholders and external auditors.
- Prepare/review reports supporting external audits and manage relationship with external auditors.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting.
- 7 years of relevant tax experience, preferably with progression of increased responsibilities (Corporate Tax and/or Public Accounting environment)
- 3 years’ experience leading and managing others
- Intermediate level of Microsoft Office applications, including experience with Tax Provision software and automation.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and research skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders.
- History of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills.
- Build and maintain collaborative cross-departmental working relationships.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Income Tax Accounting and Tax Provision in addition to Federal and state tax issues.
- CPA and/or Advanced Degree in Tax
- Experience with process automation and data analytics tools