This job posting is no longer active
The Senior Network Engineer manages, maintains and designs the implementation, capacity planning, and optimization of CDW’s network infrastructure. This engineer applies expert experience, knowledge and skills to deliver secure, fault tolerant, scalable, and flexible infrastructure for CDW’s operations, supports and troubleshoots network and application problems, coordinates implementations with CDW staff and vendor personnel and is a knowledge resource for other Network Engineers.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Designs and architects robust, highly-available, high performance data center network infrastructure involving multiple distributed systems
Specific responsibilities include design and installation, configuration, administration, upgrade and maintenance of complex Cisco network switches, routers, Wireless, VPN, F5 load balancers and ASA firewalls.
Maximize network performance by monitoring infrastructure; troubleshooting network problems and outages; scheduling upgrades; collaborating with 3rd party support resources and fellow IT engineers on network optimization.
Manages and coordinates support for all data services across the enterprise; analyzes bandwidth requirements and provides proactive cost and capacity planning.
Leads major network projects to support capacity growth, upgrades and new products/features, and integration.
Act as tier 1 support for all network issues; participate in on-call rotation.
Participates in the diagnosis, isolation and resolution of network problems. Identifies and documents the root cause. Proactively identify potential issues in the production environment and help recommend potential solutions.
Develop and drive documentation of Standard Operating Procedure documents.
Secures network system by establishing and enforcing policies; defining and monitoring access.
Provides training and technical support for users with varying levels of IT knowledge and competence
Works closely with other departments/organizations and collaborates with other IT staff.
Ensures the most cost-effective and efficient use of network infrastructure. Drives improvements in network process and standardization.
Ensures compliance with change control processes and adherence to standards.
40% Travel (US, Canada, UK)
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 5 years experience in a technical role
- Expert level experience with:
- Complex IT Infrastructure
- Network design, planning, and implementing scalable, highly available, mission critical network infrastructures.
- Configuring and maintain cisco routers, cisco switches, cisco firewalls and cisco wireless access points, LAN/WAN Technologies.
- A variety of routing protocols including BGP, EIGRP, and RIP.
- IP Addressing (DHCP,DNS, NAT).
- Layer 2 network concepts including spanning tree, VPC, and VLAN design (example: Cisco Nexus/Catalyst switches).
- Advanced knowledge of F5 GTM, LTM, APM.
- Must have expert troubleshooting skills (net. device and system level).
- Experienced with Network Analysis Sniffer tools.
- Experience leading large technical projects
- Thorough understanding of network security aspects, common problems and solutions (ACL, firewall filtering, and VPN)
- Experience with change management control tools and policies.
- Experience with Network Monitoring and other network administration tools: WhatsUp Gold, IP Management
- Certification such as CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) or CCDP (Cisco Certified Design Professional, provided by Cisco
- Strong analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of and experience with the following skills: Cisco Routers, Cisco Switches, Cisco ASA Firewall, Wireless Access Points, Wireless Controllers, RADIUS, TACACS+, Layer 2/2, EIGRRP, BGP, Routing Protocols, NTP, SNMP, VLANs, VTP, Trunking, STP, HSRP, Ether Channel (PAgP, LACP), Multicasting, Cisco IOS, Whats up Gold, Wireshark, WildPackets, Cisco IOS, F5 Load Balancers, F5 APM, Riverbed, MPLS, VPN, Windows Server 2003/2008, MS products.
- A College degree in a technical track is preferred
- 7+ years’ experience in a technical engineering role is preferred
- Cloud (Azure, Google, AWS)
- Information Security
Job Category: Delivery Engineering
Job Type: Full-Time
Travel Percentage: 10%