The Manager of Accounting manages day-to-day activities that support accounting activities for CDW Group.
The Associate Manager, Services Accounting & Analysis, collaborates in managing the company’s services accounting function. The position supports the proper revenue recognition, cost of sales, gross profit presentation and balance sheet positions for CDW’s United States services business (inclusive of managed, professional, and subscription services).
The associate manager will work with external and internal auditors and collaborate with technical accounting policy to apply guidance and operationalize with the business. Additionally, the manager will help deliver tools and reporting to the business, performs special projects on an as needed basis and act as a thought leader associated with services finance decisions globally.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Acts as liaison between Finance and other departments within the organization.
- Develops and maintains applicable accounting policies and procedures for areas under control.
- Develops and maintains revenue recognition and cost capture procedures to ensure accounting is appropriate based on CDW’s policies.
- Works closely with CDW’s technical accounting policy team to ensure that revenue recognition and cost policies and procedures are consistent and compliant with GAAP and all technical pronouncements.
- Assists in the design and execution of the services control framework as well as interfacing with both internal and external auditors.
- Maintains effective system of internal accounting controls in support of SOX compliance.
- Implements new systems, or supports changes to existing systems, as they relate to the services business.
- Oversees daily activities surrounding the services business such as review of material sales transactions, etc.
- Review and approve journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Performs ad hoc reporting and special projects as assigned.
- Works to operationalize any new services revenue recognition policies and procedures once developed and new revenue streams.
- Ensure the recording of services revenue and cost is at an appropriate level of detail in relevant systems to support the reporting needs of the business.
- Provide support for other finance teams and the business to aid in the analysis of performance, and ensuring reported gross profit is appropriate for each service line (particular for contracts that include products).
- Collaborates with organizations across the company (legal, sales, order management, etc.) to influence critical behavior and process changes that could mitigate revenue recognition risks, operationalize processes and enhance controls. This includes liaising with sales where needed on significant sales transactions and ensuring the accounting implications are fully understood and communicated.
- Manages a team of professionals that includes their coaching, development and performance management.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- External candidates: 4 years of relevant experience.
- Internal candidates: 3 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent technical accounting skills with a strong knowledge of ASC 606
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders, including senior leadership.
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of accounting and finance principles and practices with ability to apply them in a business analysis situation.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills with critical attention to detail.
- Track record of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business, while meeting deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications with strong experience in Excel.
- Proven track record in problem analysis with the ability to creatively and proactively problem solve.
- Track record of identifying process improvements and making appropriate recommendations.
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to influence stakeholders.
- Advanced analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport and maintain productive working relationships cross-functionally.
- Experience with ERP packages, including PeopleSoft general ledger, and other analytical tools such as Hyperion/Essbase, Cognos, etc.
- Supervisory and/or mentoring experience.