The Field CTO (F-CTO) is a critical role for the Digital Velocity Solutions (DVS) Pre-Sales team. The DVS team within CDW is responsible for selling Digital Transformation services to help customers meet business velocity objectives. Including but not limited to Cloud Native solutions, DevOps/SRE patterns and practices, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) and software development.
Each Field CTO covers a region or vertical expertise and has 15+ years in technology solutions, pre-sales and/or engineering. They work to implement our customer’s business strategy through the balanced portfolio of Solutions by:
- Developing an understanding and capability to position CDW Digital Velocity Solutions in key areas including Infrastructure, Applications, Data Resiliency, Software modernization/development and leverage DevOps/SRE approaches to delivering successful outcomes. The F-CTO, in conjunction with pre-sales resources, will perform requirements gathering and will lead the efforts to deliver business outcome-led proposals.
- Positioning the value of services engagement methodology will be key to the success in positioning DVS and will lead to success in maximizing DVS Practice GP. The F-CTO will coordinate and lead the efforts to develop requirements and deliver customer Statements of Work around all services engagements.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Drive DVS consulting growth in their key markets through a combination of evangelism, public speaking and thought leadership. They will also guide new DVS services by leveraging industry analysis and building key OEM relationships.
- Participate in business strategy development and standardization of delivery methodologies within DVS.
- Lead delivery efforts for customers and internal projects at early stages of customer or product development lifecycles.
- Training Workshops
- Build customer high level designs and roadmaps for technology adoption.
- Take on Product Ownership role for leading internal product development vision, design and roadmaps.
- Establish and maintain strong partnerships with vendor partners.
- Increase awareness of CDW's value proposition within accounts through regular and consistent strategic account planning.
- Demonstrate good teamwork with coworkers and follow the specific directives of the CDW management team.
- Build and manage an opportunity pipeline for CDW's DVS. Focus on driving and closing DVS category and services revenue to achieve the overall DVS revenue and gross profit targets.
- Demonstrate the ability to scope engagements to a high degree of accuracy with appropriate assistance and review from CDW and partner Pre-Sales and post-sales resources.
- Be a primary contact and sales resource for all local CDW Field Account Executives, Advanced Technology Account Executives, Account Managers, Inside Sales Representatives and customers.
- Be knowledgeable (industry expert) about products, applications, technical service, market conditions, competitive activities, advertising and promotional trends through the reading of pertinent literature and consulting with marketing and technical services. Maintain credible knowledge of competing technologies and solutions.
- Exceed category revenue and profit goal consistently while attaining high customer satisfaction.
- Exceed services revenue and gross margin targets consistently while attaining high customer satisfaction.
- Understand CDW services offerings; help develop services quotes for customers as part of a total advanced technology solution.
- Understand client business drivers and needs. Provide input on strategies to drive revenue for solutions and the overall CDW DVS practice.
- Provide management oral and written reports on the client needs, problems, interests, market situation, competitive activities, and potential for new products/services.
- Conduct presentations online and in-person to existing and prospective clients.
- Conduct client interviews to collect detailed information and to assist in the calculation of TCO and ROI and success criteria/metrics for collaboration opportunities. Present findings to customers.
- Help to create client-facing business development activities, solution adoption roadmaps, case studies, perform demand generation and perform all follow-ups to business development activities.
- Coordinate prospect meetings, teleconferences, and communications.
- Leverage multiple CDW and partner sales channels, including Field Sales Teams.
- Participate in client seminars, conferences and workshops as necessary.
- Participate in alpha, beta, early field trial processes as necessary.
- Understand collaboration market trends, identify gaps and present solutions to close the gap to deliver value-added solutions to maintain customer relevance and instill CDW as the trusted partner.
- Create comprehensive and holistic solutions utilizing CDW and partner resources to deliver unified solution proposals.
- Building and managing a team of DVS Solutions Architects to meet quarterly and annual region quota goals.
- Performing Billable work at clients (Consulting Engagements)
- Lead technical architecture & engineering efforts with customers as they pertain to your domain areas of expertise.
- Training and Mentoring Engineers to mature operational knowledge and disciplines to support DVS business lines of service.
- Meet training and certification requirements for selected vendors (GCP, Azure, AWS, Hashicorp, Docker, Puppet, GCP, Etc)
- Travel estimate is ~25% (post COVID19)
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Business Administration or ten years or more of IT sales or solution architecture experience
- 5 years of industry experience and 5+ years of experience in a role similar to CTO, CIO, VP/Dir of Engineering, VP/Dir of Operations, VP/Dir of Product Development will be considered in lieu of degree.
Other Required Qualifications
- Thorough knowledge of data center solutions, management consulting and business outcome modeling
- 10 years or more of professional services sales experience
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills including consulting skills
- Strong Oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency with G-Suite, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to present/speak in front of an audience greater than 50 people.
- Two to three years of successful sales track record with selling Data Center on and off premise solutions including but not limited to server, storage, convergence and hyper convergence, backup, disaster recovery, SaaS, IaaS, PaaS solutions. Software development and agile experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct conversations with C-Level individuals as well as lines of business executives where selling solutions are the focus
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong presentations and solutions collateral
- Demonstrated ability to train a portion of company’s sellers regarding DVS trends products and services with increased data center fluency as a measurement of success