The Manager of Accounting manages day-to-day activities that support accounting activities for CDW Group.
The Manager, Services Accounting & Analysis manages the company’s services accounting function which supports the proper revenue recognition, cost of sales and gross profit presentation, and balance sheet positions for CDW’s United States services business (inclusive of managed, professional, and subscription services).
This position manages monthly revenue and cost activities, performs analysis around revenue and margins, maintains sound internal controls and procedures in support of services function.
The manager will work with external and internal auditors and collaborate with technical accounting policy to apply guidance and operationalize with the business. Additionally, the manager will help deliver tools and reporting to the business, performs special projects on an as needed basis and acts as a thought leader associated with services finance decisions globally.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Acts as liaison between Finance and other departments within the organization.
- Develops and maintains applicable accounting policies and procedures for areas under control.
- Manages a team of professionals that includes their coaching, development and performance management.
- Oversees daily activities surrounding the services business such as review of material sales transactions, etc.
- Leads the monthly close process over services revenue and cost accounting.
- Works closely with CDW’s technical accounting policy team to ensure that revenue recognition and cost policies and procedures are consistent and compliant with GAAP and to operationalize any new services revenue recognition policies and procedures.
- Develops and maintains revenue recognition and cost capture procedures to ensure accounting is appropriate based on CDW’s policies.
- Ensures the recording of services revenue and cost is at an appropriate level of detail in relevant systems to support the reporting needs of the business.
- Provides support for other finance teams and the business to aid in the analysis of performance, and ensuring reported gross profit is appropriate for each service line (particularly for contracts that include products).
- Collaborates with organizations across the company (legal, sales, order management, etc.) to influence critical behavior and process changes that could mitigate revenue recognition risks, operationalize processes and enhance controls. This includes liaising with sales where needed on significant sales transactions and ensuring the accounting implications are fully understood and communicated.
- Manages and maintains effective system of internal accounting controls in support of SOX compliance.
- Works with external and internal auditors to ensure an efficient and effective audit process.
- Implements new systems, or support changes to existing systems, as they relate to the services business.
- Identifies, designs and proposes ways to make the services accounting processes more efficient.
- Participates in special projects as required such as acquisitions and integrations and process improvements.
- Supports the planning processes, as needed.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- External candidates: 4 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent technical accounting skills with a strong knowledge of ASC 606.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders, including senior leadership.
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of accounting and finance principles and practices with ability to apply them in a business analysis situation.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills with critical attention to detail.
- Track record of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business, while meeting deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications with strong experience in Excel.
- Proven track record in problem analysis with the ability to creatively and proactively problem solve.
- Track record of identifying process improvements, and making appropriate recommendations.
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to influence stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport and maintain productive working relationships cross-functionally.
- Advanced analytical skills.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Experience with ERP packages, including PeopleSoft general ledger, and other analytical tools such as Hyperion/Smartview.
- Experience with a revenue accounting tool such as RevPro would also be an advantage.
- 1 year of management experience.
- External candidates: 5 years of finance experience, with at least 3 years in an accounting role
- Internal candidates: 4 years of finance experience, with at least 3 years in an accounting role