The Tax Manager will play a critical role by supporting the annual and ongoing goals and objectives of the tax function, will implement process improvement initiatives and mentor and train other members of the tax team. The Tax Manager will also be responsible for developing relationships with coworkers outside of the Tax Department to keep abreast of changes to our business.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manage key tax processes including developing and maintaining detail work plans, communicating internal and external due dates to team and motivating team to meet established deadlines.
- Manage the US federal and state income tax and franchise tax compliance process in order to meet external filing requirements. Compliance includes, but is not limited to, the federal and state consolidated returns and workpapers, separate state tax returns and workpapers, state apportionment, the quarterly estimate calculations, and the annual extension calculations.
- Maintain and review the US federal and state income tax return filing calendar to ensure compliance with all deadlines, including extension and estimated payment deadlines.
- Keep abreast of US federal and state income tax law changes to ensure the accurate filing of CDW’s federal and state income and franchise tax returns.
- Coordinate federal and state income tax audits, prepare and review responses to audit inquiries and communicate audit progression to management.
- Review assigned book-tax differences.
- Manage the US federal and state R&D credit study, including collaboration with internal stakeholders and managing CDW’s relationship with its external R&D credit service provider.
- Prepare other state credit calculations.
- Research income tax issues and communicate conclusions and recommendations to management through written technical memos.
- Implement tax compliance process improvement initiatives including identifying opportunities to efficiently transfer tax data between financial accounting and tax applications in order to reduce tax provision cycle times.
- Assist the Tax Management in maintaining current relationships with external consultants as well as the relationships with other finance teams with whom we collaborate.
- Responsible for training, mentoring, coaching and performance management and fostering a culture of accountability.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting
- 7 years of relevant tax experience, preferably with progression of increased responsibilities (Corporate Tax and/or Public Accounting environment)
- 1 year experience leading and managing others
- Intermediate level of Microsoft Office applications. Strong analytical, problem solving and research skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders.
- History of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills.
- Build and maintain collaborative cross-departmental working relationships.
- Demonstrated knowledge of US federal and state income tax compliance
- CPA or Advanced Degree in Tax
- Experience with process automation and data analytics tools
- Experience with Thomson OneSource Income Tax and OneSource State Apportionment software
- Both CPA and Advanced Degree in Tax