The Infrastructure Technician (Senior Data Center Technician) is responsible for installing, labeling, inspecting, maintaining and modifying CDW IT technical assets. The Senior Technician has knowledge of server, storage, voice and data systems and is responsible for assisting in the planning of new installations, upgrades and terminations of IT data center equipment. Additionally, the Senior Technician is responsible for IT data center asset management, materials and inventories of supplies.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Coordinate installation of new cabling and/or hardware.
- Repair/troubleshoot data and/or voice cable breaks or outages.
- Inspect and maintain existing cable structure.
- Oversee cable inventories, tools and other supplies.
- Read blueprints and schematic drawings and participate in cabling plans.
- Document, record, enter and maintain IT asset inventory in ServiceNow.
- Mentor and coach junior cable technicians during various cabling projects.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 3 years cable technician experience or related area.
- Familiarity with standard concepts, practices and procedures unique to data and voice cabling
- Knowledge of general cabling terminology and functionality.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot cabling problems.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- History of maintaining an inventory and ordering process.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with all stakeholders.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word & Excel.
- Flexibility to work evening and weekend hours when necessary for special installations, implementations and upgrades.
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- The ability to stand for long periods of time.
- The ability to independently lift 60 lbs.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Apprenticeship and/or formal training in area of specialty are preferred.