This job posting is no longer active
This role will be responsible for developing relationships with coworkers outside of the Tax Department to keep abreast of changes to our business.
The Senior Sales Tax Specialist I provides customer service to internal and external customers of CDW relating to sales and use tax matters. The Sales Tax Specialist I resolves sales tax issues on more complex sales transactions.
This position serves as a role model for junior team members and assists with the training of new co-workers.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Assist with implementing process improvement initiatives.
- Provide training and guidance for new co-workers, junior team members, and internal departments.
- Independently resolve complex sales and use tax questions regarding exemption certificates, product taxability, tax rates, and the taxability of specific sales transactions.
- Draft department memos for complex sales tax decisions and announcements.
- Monitor and interpret jurisdictional tax law changes regarding exemption certificates and the tax treatment of products or services relevant to our business operations.
- Monitor the junior team members efforts in determining the appropriateness of customer provided exempt documentation.
- Monitor trends and root causes of repetitive tax issues and implement preventative measures.
- Manage the tax mailbox for special tax requests or projects.
- Prepare tax presentations and educate other departments on sales tax matters.
- Maintain tax documentation including resale and exemption certificates, W9 forms, taxability matrixes, and department training guides.
- Maintain department SharePoint site.
- Prepare annual resale certificates to be provided to suppliers.
- Participate in research projects pertaining to product taxability and taxability of specific sales transactions.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of previous tax experience, OR
- High School Diploma and 6 years of tax experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with all stakeholders including state government representatives.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications with advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Able to research, analyze, and interpret complex state and local tax regulations, tax periodicals, and technical documents.
- Strong interpersonal, project management, and leadership skills.
- A high level of confidence, attention to detail and accuracy, and ability to perform actions with integrity and sound judgment.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic and fast paced business environment.
- CPA or advanced degree in accounting/tax.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, or Finance.
- Experience with tax compliance software and tax research software.
- IBM iSeries or Peoplesoft experience.
- Vertex tax software experience.
- Experience in the technology industry.
Job Category: Finance
Job Type: Full-Time
Travel Percentage: 0%