The Business Systems Administrator is responsible for ensuring production environment availability, stability, and performance of 3rd party software applications and servers. This roles serves as the IT point person, system advocate, and subject matter expert for such applications and provides day-to-day close support to internal business partners.
This role will administer one or more (opportunity to administer as many as possible) of the following or similar applications/platforms: Tableau, Pyramid Analytics, PowerBI, IBM Cognos, Collibra, Azure, Hyperion EPM, Hadoop, Microsoft SQL Server (relational db) - ODS/EDW, Microsoft SQL Server (SSIS - integration services), Microsoft SQL Server (SSAS - analysis services), Microsoft SQL Server (SSRS - reporting services), Microsoft SQL Server (EDS/MDS - enterprise/master data services). This role will automate administrative processes via Power Automate, PowerShell, or other scripting languages.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Ensure production environment availability, stability, and performance through proactive monitoring, configuration, and tuning.
- Serve as the IT point person, system advocate and SME for 3rd party software applications with a strong customer-service oriented disposition toward internal business partners.
- Establish and maintain a strong, close working relationship with functional area counterparts, users, internal IT, external consultants, and product vendors.
- Deploy database code and objects through non-production (development, quality assurance, etc.) and production systems, troubleshoot deployment problems, and rollback if needed.
- Perform software installations, system configurations, migrations, maintenance, upgrades, patches/fixes of 3rd party package software.
- Proactive server health chceks, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Troubleshoot software, hardware and infrastructure issues; collaborate with all necessary resources (developers, infrastructure team, Help Desk, coworkers, etc.) to resolve including escalation with vendor.
- Partner with management to plan and coordinate IT activities with all users/stakeholders.
- Provide regular status and report on issues that arise to management.
- Communicate with all stakeholders when problems exist and follow up once resolved.
- Create and maintain system documentation.
- Train other administrators.
- Develop and promote standard operating procedures, best practices, and governance.
- Establish and perform backup/disaster recovery procedures.
- Automate various administrative tasks.
- System and environment troubleshooting.
- Architecture consultation.
- Server Design, Specifications, Build/Deploy.
- System troubleshooting, patching, and upgrades.
- Handle access requests.
- In alignment with business needs, design and manage system security plans and procedures; maintain user groups, roles, rights/permissions; perform security audits.
- Perform technical infrastructure/hardware requirements gathering, sizing, installation, testing with the IT systems engineering/networking groups.
- Remain current on the latest software releases/release notes in anticipation of future business needs and/or to improve productivity and departmental capabilities.
- Keep abreast of related technologies, methodologies, best practices and provide recommendations for adoption/implementation.
- Proactively identify opportunities for improvement and take necessary actions to implement.
- Evaluate packaged software products and upgrades to existing products.
- Analyze and resolve business needs related to packaged software.
- Assist manager with strategy, vision, planning, building of the administration team.
- Work evening and weekend hours when necessary for installations, implementations, and upgrades.
- Login capability from home to respond to any system-related problem(s).
- Carry a company-issued smart phone and respond to critical business issues in a timely manner.
- Monitor, respond and resolve user service requests daily in a timely and customer service oriented manner.
- Deploy code submitted by developers to production.
- Backup and recovery.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or related, or equivalent knowledge or experience
- 3 years of IT experience in an application administration or software support role
- Hands-on administration experience with at least one or more of the following or similar applications/platforms: Tableau, Pyramid Analytics, PowerBI , IBM Cognos , Collibra , Azure, Hyperion EPM, Hadoop , Microsoft SQL Server (relational db) – ODS/EDW, Microsoft SQL Server (SSIS – integration services), Microsoft SQL Server (SSAS – analysis services), Microsoft SQL Server (SSRS – reporting services), Microsoft SQL Server (EDS/MDS – enterprise/master data services).
- Experience automating administrative tasks by writing PowerShell , Power Automate or other scripts.
- Willingness/interest in expanded administration role to multiple enterprise applications.
- Flexibility to work off hours and weekends as business needs dictate.