The System Engineer recommends, designs, implements, and optimizes CDW’s internal infrastructure. The Senior Engineer applies expert knowledge and skills to deliver a stable, secure, fault tolerant, scalable, and flexible internal infrastructure for CDW’s operations. The role leads support efforts when problems arise, and coordinates and drives successful implementations with CDW staff and vendor personnel, including contributing to CDW’s technology strategy and participating in product evaluation and selection. This individual will also mentor and provide guidance to the System Engineering staff.
The Senior Systems Engineer, SharePoint Services supports the collaboration needs of the business through professional, technical systems administration and deployments to CDW’s SharePoint services. Senior Engineer recommends, designs, implements, and optimizes CDW’s SharePoint Online environment and related M365 services and applies expert knowledge and skills to deliver collaboration functions for CDW’s SharePoint Online and M365 operations. The role leads support efforts when problems arise related to SharePoint Services and M365 operations and provide end user resources as needed.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Support, maintain, and troubleshoot cloud and hybrid collaboration platforms with a focus on the SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business and related M365 services such as Teams.
- Coordiante with vendors to troubleshoot and repair outages.
- Evaluate and monitor environments for failure and performance problems.
- Lead the technical architecture documentation for CDW’s infrastructure.
- Act as as a technical point of reference for and mentor junior engineers.
- Administer support, maintain, and troubleshoot SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, related M365 services such as Teams.
- Collaborates with the stakeholders to plan and implement operational strategy within M365, including but not limited to term store, search, records management, DLP, Geo Locations, Azure AD (integration with SPO), apps and API access.
- Provide SharePoint governance guidance and assist in implementation of a governance program across the enterprise.
- Analyze current SharePoint server and site infrastructure and propose improvement recommendations where necessary.
- Keep current with emerging web technologies through the M365 roadmap as well as relevant blogs and events, communicating changes to stakeholders as needed.
- Experience with migration of SharePoint sites between tenants.
- Support planned and unplanned outages.
- Interact with functional group business stakeholders and end-users to evaluate request requirements and/or user training.
- Aid in the analysis and/or requirements gathering, implementation, and testing for SharePoint solutions.
- Lead the technical architecture documentation for CDW’s SharePoint environment and ensure they are up-to-date.
- Act as a technical point of reference for and mentor other Engineers.
- Participate in business continuity planning for infrastructure.
- Coordinate with IT Service Desk to communicate issue status and respond to questions.
- Rotates on-call support responsibility.
- Proactively collaborate cross-departmentally on projects.
- Work additional evening and weekend hours as necessary.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 7+ years of experience in Information Technology Engineering
- Minimum 3 years' experience with Microsoft SharePoint Online administration or relevant SharePoint and M365 certifications.
- Technical certifications associated to the chosen technological track (M365, SharePoint Server)
- Expert working knowledge with administration for SharePoint Online, knowledge of authentication and security controls available for M365.
- Proven history of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines
- Flexibility to work evening and weekend hours as necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to relay technical information to a non-technical audience and effectively interact with all stakeholders including senior leadership.
- Solid process documentation skills.
- Experience using and administering SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, Microsoft Teams, M365 groups and other OM65 services.
- Knowledge of SharePoint best practices and application features.
- Proficient with Active Directory, Azure Active Directory and PowerShell.
- ITIL/ITSM/ServiceNow experience preferred.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Attentive to detail.
- Experience managing team projects and mentoring.