Oversees the day to day processing of data to generate payroll checks; educates and motivates Payroll Practitioners to become more knowledgeable in best practices, and to improve current procedures to ensure efficiency and accuracy while complying with Government (Federal, State, Providence, Department of Labor, etc.), G.A.A.P. and CDW guidelines.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Communicating and fostering streamlined processes with other departments within CDW (especially Coworker Services, Treasury, Financial Reporting and Tax), to ensure efficiency, accuracy and best practices are designed, built and challenged.
- Reviews and approves all data entered by the Payroll Department, as well as payroll calculations for reasonableness prior to the payroll being finalized.
- Reviews and tests changes that impact the payroll systems, including company and system compliance with employee and employer tax changes.
- Oversees entire payroll process, ensuring all tasks are completed accurately and timely.
- Leads, coaches and fosters cross-training of all Payroll Practioners within the department, and with other key members of IT, Financial Reporting, and the Center of Excellence. Includes documenting process and procedure changes.
- Identifies how the coworker will be impacted before any policy, program or procedural change is made.
- Reconcile payroll tax reporting to ensure accurate filings by ADP as well as Payroll reports to 941s and other required reporting.
- Ensure company and system compliance with employee and employer tax changes. This includes quarterly Tax Updates which entails, testing, researching and resolving any updates within the system during implementation.
- Lead for year-end W2 preparation and processing. Includes processing balance adjustments and amendments.
- Audit, research/resolve, and monitor coworker tax information to ensure coworker and employer compliance.
- Reconciles tax accounts to general ledger and tax provider each payroll, monthly, and quarterly.
- Manages all Federal, state and local inquiries, reporting requests, etc.
- Test employer/employee changes made to payroll systems to ensure compliance and update tax rates.
- Review PeopleSoft tax update release notes and assist IT with the system implementation process.
- Performs reconciliation procedures for all processes and develop training manuals for various payroll tax balancing, tax deposits and other related processes.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Hands-on experience with in-house and out-sourced payroll systems.
- Experience with 2,000+ employee, multi-state (10+) employers.
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum of 5 years payroll experience.
- PeopleSoft experience, including query writing.
- Strong, professional verbal and written communication skills a must.
- Must be able to delegate, multi-task, work well independently, yet, desire to be part of a team.
- Certified Payroll Professional from the American Payroll Association
- Proficient Excel user.