The Senior System Engineer recommends, designs, implements, and optimizes CDW’s internal infrastructure. The Senior Engineer applies expert knowledge and skills to deliver a stable, secure, fault tolerant, scalable, and flexible internal infrastructure for CDW’s operations. The role leads support efforts when problems arise, and coordinates and drives successful implementations with CDW staff and vendor personnel, including contributing to CDW’s technology strategy and participating in product evaluation and selection. This individual will also mentor and provide guidance to the System Engineering staff.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Support, install, maintain, and troubleshoot storage, backup and related software.
- Coordinate and/or complete repairs of physical and logical failures.
- Optimize and design processes to ensure proper software and firmware patch levels.
- Remediate issues and identify the root causes from Storage and backup System error events and monitor for performance bottlenecks
- Lead the technical architecture documentation for CDW’s storage infrastructure.
- Identify, recommend and implement hardware upgrades and coordinates installation activities.
- Manage and maintain the storage, backup and Hyperconverged architecture.
- Coordinate and design Storage and backup implementations for application environments with CDW coworkers and vendor personnel.
- Act as a technical point of reference for and mentor other Engineers.
- Collaborate with business owners to complete server project requirements.
- Participate in business continuity planning for infrastructure.
- Coordinate with IT Help Desk to communicate issue status and respond to questions.
- Rotates On-Call support responsibility.
- Support security policies, practices, and guidelines for the server infrastructure.
- Researches, recommends tests and installs new hardware and software versions as required meeting business needs and using CDW best practices.
- Proactively collaborate cross-departmentally on projects.
- Work additional evening and weekend hours as necessary.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 7+ years of experience in Information Technology Engineering
- Technical certifications associated to the chosen technological track.
- Expert working knowledge of the appropriate storage systems and physical hardware.
- Proven history of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines
- Flexibility to work evening and weekend hours as necessary
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to relay technical information to a non-technical audience and effectively interact with all stakeholders including senior leadership
- Solid process documentation skills
- Expert understanding of Storage Area Networks, including solutions from Dell/EMC (XtremIO Unity, Avamar, Data Domain), NetApp (AFF 400, FAS 2720), IBM SVC and SlashSystems (FS7200, V5100) and Nutanix systems.
- Expert management experience with Cisco MDS zoning.
- Experience with IBM Spectrum Virtualize and GlobalMirror replication
- Experience with off-line/off-site backup and DR to the cloud.
- Experience managing Linux servers and environments.
- Experience with VMware virtual server farms.
- Experience deploying software, firmware, and updates to storage and backup environments.
- Experience with DR planning, concepts, and strategies as it relates to storage and backup.
- Experience managing team projects and mentoring.