The Solutions Engineer maintains and supports all Technology Labs at CDW used for customer/facing hardware/software demonstrations, alpha/beta testing, engineering sandbox and early field trial use cases. This position is also responsible for ensuring systems uptime and facilitating upgrades as needed. The Solution Engineer collaborates with other team members regarding process and documentation improvement efforts.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Install, manage and maintain Technology Labs for CDW's Strategic Services & Solutions Business Unit.
- Sets the stage to position hardware, software and services solutions to achieve the overall Practice revenue and Gross Profit targets.
- Enable the CDW sales teams to be highly successful selling solutions by providing state of the art demos to our pre-sales teams.
- Assist in the development of all collateral, training materials and scripts required for each customer demonstration.
- Assist coworkers with Technology Lab walkthroughs.
- Provide for Lab governance
- Maintain knowledge of lab technologies and solutions.
- Manage and document online and in-person demonstrations in a repetitive format.
- Report on demonstration needs, issues, interests, market situation, competitive activities, and potential for new products and services.
- Maintain inventory and asset information, including ordering, leasing and returning equipment as required.
- Provide input on lab demonstrations to drive revenue for the overall solutions practice.
- Coordinate internal meetings, teleconferences, and communications.
- Must be able to lift, rack, and move equipment that weighs at least 50lbs.
- Facilitate off-hours emergency lab maintenance.
- Travel required up to 50%.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or the equivalent in experience
- Three years of VMare experience
- Three years of storage experience (NetApp, HPE, DellEMC)• Three years of server virtualization experience
- Four years of Cisco Networking Experience, including route, switch, IOS, NXOS etc.
- Five years of x86 server and infrastructure experience
- Five years of pre-sales or consulting experience
- One year of Citrix XenApp or Microsoft Remote Desktop Services
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and written using a variety of styles and techniques appropriate to the audience
- Must be able to communicate effectively and in a constructive manner with management, peers and coworkers
- Strong Interpersonal and presentation skills including consulting skills
- Excellent analytical skills. Demonstrated ability to understand data finding to draw conclusions and develop actionable recommendations
- Proven ability to proactively collaborate and build relationships, take initiative, and creatively problem solve
- History of successfully coordinating complex projects with multiple facets and stakeholders
- Applicant should demonstrate solid attention to detail with a penchant for accuracy
- Thorough knowledge of at least one of the x86 server product lines from Cisco, IBM, HP, and Dell
- End-to-end solutions development experience (server, storage, virtualization)
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office – specifically Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint etc.
- Understand VMware , Citrix and Microsoft virtualization products and solutions
- Understand Cisco UCS and HPE x86 server product lines
- Understand NetApp, DellEMC & HP storage product lines
- Understand Cisco Networking (routing and switching)
- Demonstrated ability to lift, rack, and move equipment that weighs at least 50lbs. The team lift system must be utilized for loads weighing more than 50 pounds
- Must be able and willing to travel up to 50% as needed to other CDW locations or client sites
- Ability to understand, remember, and apply oral and/or written instructions or other information. Ability to organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology. Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize. Ability to apply common sense in performing job. Ability to understand and follow basic instructions and guidelines. Ability to travel as needed.
- Certifications: MCSE, VCP, VCDX, CCNA, and/or CCEA preferred