The Database Administrator is guided by relational data modeling design and implementation methodologies. This role deploys and maintains high performing database environments, as well as collaborates with stakeholders to design, build, and tune databases that support CDW business objectives.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Monitor and support database environment including general troubleshooting and interactive production support.
- Contribute in development and maintenance of internal process and policy documentation.
- IT Specific
- Review database code and objects for standards as part of application code reviews. Collaborate with application teams to develop and document database standards.
- Use database vendor provided tools as well as 3rd party applications to performance tune an entire database system, specific queries and application scenarios as presented by the application teams.
- Participate in Data Modeling tasks on projects as well as review and support application development on designs of data models for smaller scale projects.
- Suggest improvements to inline SQL code that is accessing the database.
- Create and maintain backup plans using various backup toolsets. Work directly with infrastructure teams on backup policies and strategies.
- Review and deploy database schema objects. This includes tables, procedures, triggers, indexes and data manipulation statements.
- Practice the security policies and procedures and ensures that the databases are in compliance with IT Audit policies. This includes any data cleansing routines or managing any 3rd party encryption toolsets on the various database platforms.
- For SQL Server
- Actively participate in code improvements mostly related to stored procedures and DTS/SSIS packages.
- Install database software and supporting tools as well as service packs and supporting patches.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- 3 years’ experience in database design, SQL coding/tuning, MS Access, SQL Server SSIS and Visual Basic.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent working experience.
Other Required Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to foster and maintain cross-functional relationships and influence
- Proficient in written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with all stakeholders including senior leadership.
- Strong organizational and creative problem-solving skills with the demonstrated ability to be resourceful.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
- Working knowledge of the software development life cycle with the ability to proactively collaborate with stakeholders.
- Strong analytical skills with critical attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Basic understanding of object-oriented design and programming techniques.
- Background in leading small to medium size projects and implementation.
- Experience in process documentation (standards and practices).
- Experience with a variety of database issues.