The Tax Manager will play a critical role by supporting the annual and ongoing goals and objectives of the tax function, will implement process improvement initiatives and mentor and train other members of the tax team. The Tax Manager will also be responsible for developing relationships with coworkers outside of the Tax Department to keep abreast of changes to our business.
The Manager, International Tax will work with CDW’s international sales operations team to evaluate international sales opportunities and recommend alternatives for structuring transactions in a tax efficient manner. In addition to supporting sales operations, this role will manage the US tax compliance, accounting, and forecasting associated with the Company’s international operations as well as manage other international tax matters including maintaining US transfer pricing policies and documentation.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manage key tax processes including developing and maintaining detail work plans, communicating internal and external due dates to team and motivating team to meet established deadlines.
- Support international sales operations by evaluating sales opportunities related to providing IT products and services in various foreign jurisdictions and making recommendations to tax management to ensure transactions are structured in the most tax-efficient manner possible for all parties.
- Support the international sales operations team as it relates to local country tax issues, including assessing the tax risks associated with permanent establishment (“PE”), withholding taxes, VAT, and personal taxes.
- Manage all aspects of international customer fulfillment including reviewing customer and partner contract terms and conditions and reviewing specific services and product offerings delivered outside of the US to ensure compliance with local tax laws.
- Manage PE risk for the US business by assisting the mobility team with review of international travel requests and international work arrangements.
- Manage US tax compliance related to international operations, including Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (“TCJA”) reporting (e.g. GILTI, FDII, etc.), FATCA compliance and foreign bank account reporting.
- Review international effective tax rate calculations and cash tax projections for financial planning and forecasting purposes.
- Prepare/review supporting international work papers (e.g. earnings and profits, foreign source income for tax credits), memos, and tax footnote disclosures for the quarterly and annual tax provisions. Ensure processes and controls align with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Oversee the global tax compliance calendar to ensure all filings are timely filed.
- Research tax issues and communicate conclusions and recommendations to tax management through written technical memos.
- Monitor new and pending US legislation and determine the potential impact to CDW.
- Coordinate tax research with outside tax advisors as needed to ensure responses are complete and accurate and advisor fees are within budget.
- Manage the preparation of annual US transfer pricing compliance and documentation, including the OECD’s BEPS Action 13 reporting.
- Review intercompany transactions involving the US business and provide guidance to the sales and finance organizations on proper arms-length pricing.
- Train, mentor, coach and manage the performance of junior tax coworkers and foster a culture of accountability.
- Assist tax management with maintaining current relationships with external consultants as well as the relationships with other finance teams with whom we collaborate.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 5 years of relevant tax experience, preferably with progression of increased responsibilities (Global, Corporate Tax and/or Public Accounting environment)
- 1 year of experience leading others, directly or indirectly.
- CPA or advanced degree.
- Strong knowledge of the accounting for income tax rules under ASC 740 and a good working knowledge of US GAAP accounting.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and research skills as well as the demonstration of learning agility with unfamiliar topics, critical thinking, and the ability to connect concepts across tax disciplines.
- Strong financial acumen and excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to effectively communicate financial information to a non-financial audience, including senior leadership.
- Strong project management skills described as balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while paying attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
- Build and maintain collaborative cross-functional working relationships.
- Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- MST, MBA or Law Degree.
- Strong experience working with tax laws of multiple foreign jurisdictions.
- Understanding of transfer pricing methodologies and documentation requirements.
- Strong knowledge of the GILTI, FTC, FDII, and BEAT rules developed under the TCJA.
- Large corporate industry experience.
- Experience utilizing tax provision software.
CDW is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards and to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of coworkers and candidates for employment and their families, as well as the community.
CDW requires all coworkers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the only exceptions being a documented, legally required medical or religious accommodation. Prior to starting with CDW, successful candidates will be required to: (i) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide CDW with proof of full vaccination; or (ii) apply for and receive a medical or religious-based accommodation to be exempt from the mandatory vaccination policy.