The Software Architect (SA) is involved with a project from inception to completion, and is often spread across several projects. The SA is the first one on the ground during project initiation, and prepares the project for the project team to cover down and begin sprint based story work. The SA’s role is in lock step with the OCTO on the solution architecture and helps guide the engineering team in implementing the solution architecture correctly. The has senior software engineering competency, and often covers this role on project teams as the team at large gets underway on project solutioning. The SA is highly communicative, ensuring that the customer, project team, and leadership are informed regarding project status and direction.
Key areas of responsibility
- Technically lead client projects providing architecture, code mentoring, & PR reviews simultaneously across multiple projects
- Ability to articulate business needs and translate them into technology solutions, as well as own the technical communication to the client on behalf of the project team
- Evaluates and organizes tasks for the backlog
- Builds cloud infrastructure code and CI/CD resources
- Able to delegate domain responsibilities across multiple teams and team members to increase development efficiency & velocity
- Contributes to the development of best practices within team
- Lead code reviews and actively participates in providing feedback on others’ designs/code
- Mentor junior members of the team
- Identify when junior engineers need help and provide it in a positive way that promotes confidence.
- Proactively helps team members/make suggestions to improve practices.
- Craftsman-like approach to building software; take pride in engineering excellence and instill these values in others
- Demonstrable passion for technology while using problem solving capabilities to deliver solutions utilizing a top end engineering approach with an enthusiasm for learning
- Focused on delivering value to the business with relentless efforts to improve process
- A proponent of strong collaborative software engineering techniques and methods: agile development, continuous integration, code review & pairing, unit testing, refactoring and related approaches
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Accountable for technical debt in software
- Experienced working in a dynamic, fast-paced, Agile team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to establish and maintain a close working relationship with team members and stakeholders
- Enthusiasm for learning & results oriented
- Stay current with many best-of-breed technologies
- Confident communicator; able to communicate a point concisely and deal positively with conflicting views
- Flexible in thinking; able to evolve a solution when additional information or ideas are presented
- Make tactical vs. strategic trade offs
- Take control of complex or vague problems and steps through them in a rational way
- High achiever who combines ambition with humility
Education and/or Experience qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience web application development in a cloud native environment
- 3+ years experience creating software architecture
- Knowledge and skill level in identified competencies meet minimum requirements for role
- Previous direct customer consulting experience or equivalent understanding of role responsibilities
- Experience fully developing automated delivery pipelines, agile delivery and test-driven development
- In-depth knowledge of software design patterns
- Proficient creating hybrid cloud solutions using things like API server, message queues, db’s, file storage, containers, & microservices
- Experience debugging large components with limited assistance and assisting other engineers with debugging
- Experience performing as an expert in all parts of the software lifecycle (e.g., coding, testing, deployment)
- Experience designing and developing practical API contracts, APIs, and abstractions.
- Ability to work directly with business stakeholders
- Track record of decisions showing a focus on current and future business priorities, together with fiscal responsibility
- Experience keeping project within scope and efforts are aimed at the outcome defined in the Statement of Work
CDW is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards and to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of coworkers and candidates for employment and their families, as well as the community.
CDW requires all coworkers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the only exceptions being a documented, legally required medical or religious accommodation. Prior to starting with CDW, successful candidates will be required to: (i) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide CDW with proof of full vaccination; or (ii) apply for and receive a medical or religious-based accommodation to be exempt from the mandatory vaccination policy.