The Field Solution Architect (FSA) role focuses on pre-sales solution design. This role is responsible for working with internal and external sales teams to plan and organize sales strategies. The incumbent analyzes the sales environment including customer expectations, competitive environment as well as the customer's technical environment and defines actions to be performed in the sales cycle timeframe.
Provide design and engineering activities for Software Defined Infrastructure and HybridCloud projects and solutions. This role is expected to be a thought leader in the areas of technical solutions for our customers while working with the Office of the CTO and Management to align delivery teams on best practices and upskilling engineering resources for Software Defined Infrastructure of Virtualized Compute, Networking and Storage technologies, Automated Infrastructure and Practical DevOps.
The FSA is responsible for driving a variety of initiatives and projects, coaches and/or mentors others FSAs; and strategically works with sales, partners and customers to uncover and increase emerging business opportunities.
The FSA takes a lead role in defining, developing, and supporting solutions and new technologies; prepares the team to be successful through proactive training, sharing knowledge, and communicating best practices.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Acquires deep technical depth in their role; Is the "Go To" person for the solution, both technically and strategically; is on the forefront of their solution(s) and the implications for CDW offerings.
- Performs a lead role in executing the "Go-to-Market" for new offerings.
- Designs technical solutions not only considering the customer’s infrastructure but also the business limitations and opportunities; operates comfortably beyond standard approaches to satisfy the needs of all the stakeholders.
- Consulting on leading edge technologies and possess deep technical knowledge for a mixture of the following:
- Software Defined Infrastructure - Virtualized compute, networking and storage technologies
- Hybrid IT
- Infrastructure Automated Solutions (IaC, API, SDI)
- Public cloud (Azure, GCP, AWS)
- DevOps (HashiCorp, Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes, Puppet)
- Reviews peer’s designs for quality and accuracy.
- Determines and defines services that complement and/or round out proposed hardware and software engagements, estimates required engineer effort.
- Operates beyond a ‘self’ focus for the benefit of the team and the practice to better CDW’s technology leadership, execution, and overall relevance to our customers; develops standardized templates of deliverables, including the SOW framework, tools, demo lab and scripts, and services calculation (Calc); provides leadership to equip CDW to deliver the solution at a high level of quality.
- Communicates and trains the team on changes in technologies, procedures, solution implementations and approaches.
- Develops training materials for team members to use with CDW audiences.
- Promotes a culture of knowledge sharing and collaboration by organizing knowledge bases, contributing regularly, and encouraging team members to contribute.
- Coaches and mentors team members to improve their technical, consulting, and sales skills.
- Acts as a resource to FSAs for advice and recommendations on technical design issues and product choices.
- Conducts technical assessment and expertise evaluations during the candidate selection process.
- Assist managers with new hire FSAs’, leads shadow assignments; proactively provides assistance and guidance to new hires to accelerate productivity.
- Follows up on implemented solutions and identifies new opportunities that complement the work that was completed.
- Advises team members and sales prior to customer calls and/or sales strategy sessions.
- Assists customer in understanding their equipment maintenance contracts, upgrade needs, and renewals; analyses the most cost-effective approach for the customer (e.g. renew the contract or purchase new equipment and contract.)
- Incorporates financing (through manufacturer or third party) as part of the sales proposal and discussion; looks beyond the current infrastructure/problem toward a three to five year roadmap.
- Articulates to customers the S3 Practice (Strategic Solutions and Services Practice) value proposition to customers, account managers, and partners and uses it to generate additional revenue opportunities to CDW.
- Initiates new event ideas; collaborates with Partners and Sales to design events that can be replicated by other FSAs; secures funding to support CDW customer events.
- Delivers presentations and conducts sales conversations with confidence and credibility to C-level clients, both in small meeting and large group formats.
- Develops presentation content for the team
- Develops assessments, improvements and demos for FSAs to use as sales tools, identifies new ideas for cross-sell opportunities, teaches FSAs in Sales on how to use these tools.
- Collaborates with Partners, Inside Solution Architects (ISA), and Account Executives (AE) to drive mapped opportunities; fine tunes strategies and approaches to achieve greater sales results.
- Operates in a regular cadence with multiple partners to educate, plan, and execute on joint strategies in collaboration with multiple stakeholders (ISA, AE, Sales Manager, Field Sales); understands partner alignment in geography and leads customer opportunity mapping exercises; coordinates on-site partner visits.
- Shares best practices and effective territory planning approaches with peers to leverage successful approaches across the team.
- Shares best practices and tactics for enhancing profitability and closing deals.
- Acts as subject matter expert for marketing activities (e.g., marketing blog, content, references, videos, etc.); produces marketing-type documents and materials (e.g., data sheet, presentation, demo video) to use throughout the Practice
- Manages competing priorities and sets expectations with sales and other stakeholders through proactive communication, planning, and potential for return on investment.
- Leads the development of Statements of Work, RPFs, RFIs, and proposal content for cross-technology solutions with high levels of accuracy and quality.
- Maintains pre-sales pipeline data, develops plans, and takes actions to move opportunities to closure.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- 7 year minimum technical pre-sales or technical architecting experience
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise in specific technology
- Experience with Linux, Nutanix and VMware
- Certification in one or more public cloud platforms: Azure, GCP or AWS
- Experienced with HashiCorp products and solution suites
- Container & orchestration tools experience such as Docker, Kubernetes
CDW is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards and to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of coworkers and candidates for employment and their families, as well as the community.
CDW requires all coworkers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the only exceptions being a documented, legally required medical or religious accommodation. Prior to starting with CDW, successful candidates will be required to: (i) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide CDW with proof of full vaccination; or (ii) apply for and receive a medical or religious-based accommodation to be exempt from the mandatory vaccination policy.