The primary purpose of this position is to manage and maintain IT infrastructure environments for Managed Services customers, which may include, but are not limited to: enterprise data storage systems, mainframe (IBM System z), midrange (IBM Power), Windows, and/or Unix/Linux systems and associated software; network infrastructure environments; virtualized systems, database systems, and security tools. The Managed Services Sr. Engineer ensures high levels of availability and security of the supported systems and business applications. This position will focus on the operational stability and maintenance of virtualized and physical infrastructure in customer and/or hosted data center environments.
The primary purpose of this position is the administration of Sirius Managed Services clients’ databases. This position will also be responsible for database installations, updates/patches/upgrades, tuning, performance monitoring, replication, back-ups, security, user management, and resource management. This position will work closely with Sirius Managed Services DBA’s to resolve database-related issues and ensure a reliable and secure database environment.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains the availability and integrity of the corporate database environment
- Deploys all database technologies for primarily MS SQL Server.
- Executes test plans for the upgrades to verify functionality
- Identifies, tests, and resolves complex database performance issues.
- Performs database management functions (software installations, version upgrades, and configuration management)
- Defines and develops database standards, procedures, and architecture
- Designs data models and DW database designs
- Provides primary support for clients’ production and test database environments, maintaining the availability and integrity of customer data
- Plans, executes, and maintains database installations, upgrades, service packs, and security patches
- Monitors database capacity and performance, to include identifying potential data volume growths, assessing current hardware and software performance and capacity loads, and proposing appropriate solutions in an AIX, Linux, Windows and Azure environments
- Migrates and executes customers SQL stored procedures and scripts
- Participates in establishing and implementing database backup and recovery policies and practices
- Participates in establishing and implementing appropriate database disaster recovery plans
- Participates in establishing and implementing appropriate database security plans, to include maintaining user accounts and ensuring proper levels of user access
- Performs planning, installation, customization, testing and administration of Microsoft SQL Server Always On Availability Groups, SQL Failover Cluster Instances, log shipping and SQL transactional replication.
- Tailor backup and maintenance plans to customers desired RPO and RTO
- Monitors the health of customer’s databases and database replication infrastructures. Provide feedback to monitoring team to tune QoS thresholds for alerts.
- Interfaces with customers to resolve database problems
- Participates in an on-call 24X7 after hour schedule
- Assists Application Developers and the Business with application problem troubleshooting and performance issues
- Supports enterprise infrastructure hardware and software upgrades
- Performs a variety of technical tasks in support of Managed Services customers. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Installs, implements, maintains, upgrades, and troubleshoots client infrastructure solutions
- Plans, develops, installs, configures, maintains, supports, and optimizes client network hardware, software, and communication links
- Anticipates, mitigates, identifies, and responds to system performance issues
- Ensures the integrity and security of enterprise data on host computers, multiple databases, and during data transfer in accordance to business needs and industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance
- Performs database installations, updates/patches/upgrades, tuning, performance monitoring, replication, back-ups, security, user management, and resource management
- Researches and makes recommendations on infrastructure products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts
- Conducts transaction, performance, and security audits
- Performs routine system backups and restores
- Participates in Disaster Recovery exercises and planning
- Follows change control, incident response, and testing processes
- Communicates and enforces, through system procedures, data storage retention policies
- Monitors, analyzes, and predicts trends for equipment performance, space allocation, and data growth to recommend enhancements
- Creates scripts to automate common tasks
- As needed, assumes a technical lead role on designated customers and/or technologies
- Addresses and updates customer incident tickets and change orders, providing internal management and customer account managers with status information
- Creates required reports in response to business user needs
- Develops, documents, and maintains policies, procedures and associated training plans for systems and /or database administration and appropriate use
- Develops reusable assets (templates, tools, etc) for the Managed Services practice
- Works with account management personnel to participate on conference calls and perform tasks in support of the client relationship
- Partners with the Managed Services Continuous Improvement team on pre-sales support activity and design and scoping of services
- Provides technical perspective to ensure a realistic estimation of scope, cost and level of effort for proposal generation
- Works with project managers in the development and implementation of project plans and timelines
- Complies with all time compliance and time entry guidelines
- Training/Certifications: Attends training sessions, and obtains industry related certifications as determined by management
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or a related field
- At least five (5) years of IT engineering work experience dealing with one or more infrastructure solutions supported by the Managed Services practice, to include experience as a SQL database administrator in primarily a Windows environment.
Other Position Requirements
- Experience with Microsoft Server
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server
- Demonstrated skills in scripting via Windows and Linux
- Experience administering MS SQL Server, to include supporting full project life cycle application development efforts in a SQL environment
- Strong knowledge of database programming concepts including Structured Query Language, stored procedures, and triggers
- Experience in data movement across multiple platforms
- Experience in data recovery
- SQL Server System Tuning experience
- Disaster recovery experience
- Demonstrated ability to adapt technical solutions to complex business situations and strategies
- Demonstrated ability to investigate problems, analyze information, and reach logical conclusions
- Demonstrated ability to learn and support new applications
- Demonstrated communication and presentation skills
- Ability to consult and lead clients on a technical level
- Ability to handle SQL Server advanced feature issues and properly explain root cause and solution to the customer
- Ability to perform database performance tuning, analysis and optimization
- Managed Services experience
- DB2 LUW database Experience
- Technical certifications in areas of specialty
- Microsoft SQL Server MCP Certification
- Experience with SQL Server DBA Tools and processes including:
- Experience with SQL Management Studio
- SQL Trace utility
- SQL Tuning Advisor
- Experience with large (DataWarehouse) databases
- Application development experience
Data Privacy & Security
- All Sirius employees are responsible to safeguard the information and information systems that they use or handle in the execution of their duties. Employees are obligated to know and perform their duties in accordance with Sirius policies, standards, and procedures related to security and report security violations to the appropriate Sirius authority.
- Participate at hire and annually in the Information Security Awareness training as well as other required training identified by the Human Resources department. Other data privacy and data security related regulatory training may be required based on your role or assignment.
- Demonstrates competencies defined for the Analyst through Engineer level, plus the following:
- Client Focus - Gains insight into customer needs. Identifies opportunities that benefit the customer. Builds and delivers solutions that meet customer expectations. Establishes and maintains effective customer relationships.
- Plans and Aligns - Sets objectives to align with broader organizational goals. Breaks down objectives into appropriate initiatives and actions. Stages activities with relevant milestones and schedules. Anticipates and adjusts effective contingency plans.
- Manages Complexity – Asks the right questions to accurately analyze situations. Acquires data from multiple and diverse sources when solving problems. Uncovers root causes to difficult problems. Evaluates pros and cons, risks and benefits of different solution options.
- Organizational Savvy - Is sensitive to how people and organizations function. Anticipates land mines and plans approach accordingly. Deals comfortably with organizational politics. Knows who has power, respect, and influence. Steers through the organizational maze to get things done.
- Optimizes Work Processes - Identifies and creates the processes necessary to get work done. Separates and combines activities into efficient workflow. Designs processes and procedures that allow managing from a distance. Seek ways to improve processes, from small tweaks to complete reengineering.
- Drives Results - Has a strong bottom-line orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record of exceeding goals successfully. Pushes self and helps others achieve goals.
CDW is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards and to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of coworkers and candidates for employment and their families, as well as the community.
CDW requires all coworkers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the only exceptions being a documented, legally required medical or religious accommodation. Prior to starting with CDW, successful candidates will be required to: (i) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide CDW with proof of full vaccination; or (ii) apply for and receive a medical or religious-based accommodation to be exempt from the mandatory vaccination policy.