The Sr Manager System Eng - Infra & App is responsible for the planning, provisioning, implementation, and support of the server, storage, and mainframe infrastructure at CDW. This Senior Manager role is responsible for crafting, communicating, and executing the strategic vision of the department while ensuring optimal performance for day-to-day activities. Departments include: IT Systems Engineering (servers, endpoints, virtualization), Storage and iSeries Engineering and Support, Database Engineering and Support. This position has overall accountability for the design, development and implementation of key systems across the enterprise. It requires a strong understanding of industry best practices related to areas of responsibility.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Engage, manage, and develop direct reports to be IT leaders of the future
- Present and lead discussions between the business and IT
- Attract and build bench strength that allows for succession planning.
- Sponsor, lead, and coordinate projects and work activities at all levels of the organization
- Identify, set, and manage agreed-upon Service Level Agreements
- Develop and implement technology roadmaps for relevant areas
- Ensure department alignment to the overall IT strategy
- Collaborate cross-functionally and build strong, productive relationships with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Responsible for configuration, acquisition, deployment, maintenance, and retirement of all Data Center virtualization, server and storage infrastructure.
- Initiate and maintain hardware and software service contracts for relevant areas.
- Assist in the resolution of technical problems and help manage escalations of critical issues. May work on multiple, complex projects as a project leader and a subject matter expert.
- Monitor and report datacenter compute/storage capacity metrics and plan/budget for required capacity growth
- Interact with operations, facilities, engineering and other subject matter experts as a key stakeholder in the planning and design of new applications and services to ensure they can be supported.
- Responsible for the operational management and oversight of enterprise backup and restore systems, assisting in quarterly Disaster Recovery exercises.
- Create, document and implement policies and procedures.
- Evaluate and research new technologies that increase productivity and reduce expenses.
- Develop and report operational SLAs and metrics for areas of responsibility and present results to senior IT management.
- Provide long-term technical vision and strategic direction for data center infrastructure.
- Ensure all physical/virtual servers and staff maintains strict compliance with security policies.
- Interface with technology vendors on a regular and frequent basis.
- Travel up to 10%
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Business Management or related field
- 10 years relevant experience in Systems Engineering and Storage
- 5 years people management experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with and present to all stakeholders, including senior leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams, gain consensus, and move teams towards a shared vision.
- Knowledge of mid-range and high-end servers running various OS platforms
- Strong working knowledge of virtualization technologies and platforms with preference to VMware and Citrix
- Working knowledge of mainframe platforms related to “System I”
- Successful management of capital and expense budgets
- Experience managing SAN and NAS technologies, with preference to EMC
- Experience managing MS technologies to include: Active Directory, SCCM, SCOM, WSUS, Azure
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to lead a large, cross-functional project
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to relay technical data to a non-technical audience.
- History or balancing competing priorities with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
- Master’s Degree or MBA
- Relevant technical certifications
- Working knowledge of infrastructure technologies related to: SDDC, SDN, IaaS, PaaS, and cloud integrators
CDW is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards and to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of coworkers and candidates for employment and their families, as well as the community.
CDW requires all coworkers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the only exceptions being a documented, legally required medical or religious accommodation. Prior to starting with CDW, successful candidates will be required to: (i) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide CDW with proof of full vaccination; or (ii) apply for and receive a medical or religious-based accommodation to be exempt from the mandatory vaccination policy.