The Consultant - DevOps Engineer tackles difficult technical problems and works with senior management to support execution of the organization’s vision for software development. The DevOps Engineer cares deeply about the technical side of operations and Application Deployment automation, making sure that software deployments are running smoothly, and any problems are addressed in a timely manner. This role interfaces between the development team and systems engineers/system admins, deeply understands the technology in use on both the server level and the development level, understands where the gaps often are between these two, and is able to fill those gaps while taking proactive measures to ensure web applications remain fully operational all of the time.
The DevOps Engineer manages service delivery and website/systems reliability and scalability including: reporting, configuration and build, testing, planning, and deployment of solutions and will be accountable for all aspects of deployment and technical operations including technical project resources (partners/subcontractors or staff), scheduling, risk management, internal and external communications, status reporting, and resource management (internal and partners), reporting to the director of IT/Infrastructure. This person must be able to coordinate well between a variety of vendors and technical experts.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs a variety of billable consulting activities in support of clients’ objectives, which may include, but are not limited to:
- Manages and appropriately escalates delivery impediments, risks, issues, and changes associated with development initiatives
- Displays technical leadership and oversight of implementation and deployment planning, system integration, ongoing data validation processes, quality assurance, delivery, operations, and sustainability of technical solutions
- Exercises delegated authority for planning, directing, coordinating, administering, and executing both routine and complex technical elements of technical operations
- Is an advocate for security and performance standards in the organization
- Manages operational aspect of production and development servers including developing, training in, and validating compliance with procedures and checklists related to disk space usage, monitoring solutions, deployment, conventions, access to the production and development sources, source control access and usage, performance monitoring, code modifications validation, scheduling, and more
- Identifies trending gaps or issues in day-to-day performance of all web applications and components hosted by third-party vendors including by active monitoring, alert management, reporting, and process reviews
- Maintains issue tracking and documentation systems and provides reporting that ensures proper tracking and visibility of issues and projects
- Identifies technical and process improvement opportunities and socializes/advocates to get them implemented
- Works closely with development and QA departments in release planning, preparation, validation, post-release monitoring, and ongoing monitoring.
- Maintains accurate program estimates, timelines, project plans, and status reports
- Possesses expert technical understanding of the intersection of development and operations (DevOps), monitoring and management tools, and deployment processes and tools
- Possesses experience and understanding in the areas of web application programming, content management systems, APIs, databases, and system design.
- Implements and manages CI/CD pipelines
- Provides process improvement recommendations based on best practices and industry standards
- Training/Certifications - Engages in professional development, including obtaining industry related certifications as directed by management, to maintain continued growth in professional skills and knowledge
- Administrative Overhead – Respond to email, phone calls, complete time cards in a timely manner, expense reports and status reports as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or a related field
- At least three (3) years DevOps engineer or related experience
- Demonstrated understanding of DevOps and technical quality control processes, artifacts, and tools
Other Required Qualifications
- Prior experience deploying web-based applications to Linux and Windows environments.
- Strong experience building and maintaining production systems on Cloud environments using available technologies and familiarity with Cloud APIs.
- Experience with monitoring, metrics, and visualization tools for networks, servers and web applications (CloudWatch, DataDog, Nagios, etc)
- Experience with hardware and software firewalls, IPS, WAF, and additional security layers (LDAP, SSO, 2Factor).
- Experience with continuous integration, testing, delivery, and deployment.
- Experience with RDBMS MySQL and Amazon/Google/Azure SQL tools with bonus points for NoSQL (DynamoDB or Mongo)
- Operations or systems administration experience, particularly on Linux.
- At least two years of experience on cloud platforms (Azure, AWS, and/or Google).
- Experience with container Build, deployment and networking on Docker.
- Experience with application deployment by using CI/CD
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with a wide variety of client and Sirius team members, including management and technical staff
- Demonstrated ability to investigate complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in- depth evaluation of variable factors from multiple solutions and/or disciplines
- Demonstrated understanding of core business functions of a typical company, and ability to employ step by step logic to solve business problems
- Experience as a member of a technical project team, from design through delivery
- Experience troubleshooting and identifying potential problems and making appropriate changes as necessary
- Experience creating technical documentation
- Demonstrated ability to provide guidance and leadership to less experienced technical team members
- Demonstrated presentation and communication skills, including effectively communicating one-on-one, and in small and large groups, using a variety of presentation methods to sustain the audiences’ engagement
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to establish positive working relationships and conduct complex and important work critical to the organization in a team consulting environment
- Thorough understanding of configuration management concepts. Ansible, Terraform, OpenShift, Kubernetes experience is highly desired.
- Experience with Chef, Puppet, or Salt
- Consulting experience, especially in an agency or global systems integrator environment
- Certifications in relevant areas of specialty
Data Privacy and Security
- All Sirius employees are responsible to safeguard the information and information systems that they use or handle in the execution of their duties. Employees are obligated to know and perform their duties in accordance with Sirius policies, standards, and procedures related to security and report security violations to the appropriate Sirius authority.
- Participate at hire and annually in the Information Security Awareness training as well as other required training identified by the Human Resources department. Other data privacy and data security related regulatory training may be required based on your role or assignment.
This position exists to provide technical consulting solutions to customers and as such requires the ability to travel to and from customer sites and interact with customers on an ongoing and regular basis.
The above primary duties, responsibilities, and position requirements are not all inclusive.
CDW is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards and to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of coworkers and candidates for employment and their families, as well as the community.
CDW requires all coworkers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the only exceptions being a documented, legally required medical or religious accommodation. Prior to starting with CDW, successful candidates will be required to: (i) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide CDW with proof of full vaccination; or (ii) apply for and receive a medical or religious-based accommodation to be exempt from the mandatory vaccination policy.